My competition

Clint had almost leapt out of bed the next morning. Hastily, he pulled on some trousers and a t-shirt before sprinting downstairs and out of the house.

In his worry of being late, he was practically running to school... Until he slipped. He didn't know what was going on until he lifted his head from the pavement.

Although blurry, he could see a hand outstretched for him. He gladly accepted it and pulled himself to his feet. All Clint could hear was the stranger's softly whispered string of swearing.

As he lifted his head, his eyes did not meet those of the stranger. Their face was masked by a pulled-down cap. "Th-thanks, I guess."

"Excuse you, 'I guess'?"

"I meant thanks!"

The stranger walked away, gesturing rudely and going on the direction of the school. Clint sighed deeply. Another person hated him.

~~~

Later that day, as Nat sat next to Clint during lunch, Barton refused to meet his best friend's eye. "Who's that over there?"

The girl focused on where he looked and attempted to surpress a smirk. "The new kids from our class yesterday."

"Why are they so..."

"Mysterious?" Nat questioned. "I asked the same thing. So, I did a little digging. Howlett and Wilson, your classic avoid-at-all-costs kids. Howlett's born of an affair and ended up having delusions of attacking his family. Wilson doesn't know the first ten years of his life and neither does anyone else. Both violent. Both loners."

Clint's widened eyes met Nat's but she showed nothing more than casualty. "And you have no problem with this?"

"I'm good at hiding things," the girl replied, before diverting her attention to the new kids. "They aren't."

Clint turned to see girls laughing overdramatically at the pair, clearly flirting. They were practically hanging from the men's arms. They were sisters: Lili and Demi Succubus. A day never passed that the identical twins hadn't flirted shamelessly.

Clint wasn't sure why but he felt his stomach drop. It was a horrific feeling as sickness rose and his breath was forced out of his lungs. He thought that he would pass out from the way that his surroundings spiralled away and out of sight. Clear thought didn't belong in the present and he thought that it wouldn't come back.

But it did.

Clear thought came back when the new kids escaped the girls and made their way to class. If he didn't want detention, which he didn't, he would have to follow suit.

~~~

Slipping into the back of the class unnoticed was second nature for Clint Barton. He was skilled, experienced and knew exactly what to do. There was a plan.

Step 1: Look inconspicuous in the hallways, like you have reason to be there.
Step 2: Wait for the teacher to check their supplies for the lesson.
Step 3: Hold your breath and walk on tiptoes as you enter.
Step 4: Don't close the door fully. It may click.
Step 5: Sit at the closest table, making it fastest to reach. Unless the table is at the very front, where the teacher would notice an addition.
Step 6: Don't draw attention until you've been there for a while or something else happens. Otherwise, you'll be assumed to have been too quiet earlier.

Clint had reached Step 5 when he mentally cursed himself. The new kids glared when he sat facing them, shoulder pressing against Nat's in the cramped seats.

"Hello, rude person." It was the boy with the cap that had picked him up earlier.

"You're the rude one, if you ask me."

"What? I am not rude, I am-"

The other kid pushed the irritating one from his chair, not looking. It seems that he'd had enough of the noise.

Nat caught Clint's attention with her victorious smirk. What did she know?

"I'm Wade!" Was loudly declared, interrupting his train of thought. It was the guy with the hat - which had been knocked across the room.

Wade had a mass of scars and burns across his immaculate face. Brilliantly blue eyes sparkled and his blonde hair was messy.

Clint faltered. Immaculate? Brilliant? Where did that come from? He pushed it down.

"Hi, I'm Clint Barton." He gave an awkward wave. "This is Nat." His eyes dropped to the table as hopes of his friend taking over grew.

"That's Logan," Wade explained, instead. "He's-"

"Don't," Logan grumbled. It was too aggressive for a plea but he sounded desperate nonetheless.

"You're dull," the boy pouted, folding his arms. He looked like a sulking child and it occurred to Clint that, technically, he was. A sulking sixteen year old baby.

Suddenly, Clint was being talked to. He blinked, thinking. "What?"

"I asked if you're dating her." Clint looked to Nat, who was absolutely seething. He swore that her eye twitched.

"No, she's like a sister. You dating?" Clint had tried to casually slip the question into the conversation but he felt his heart leap for a moment.

"Yeah." Clint knew that Wade had continued but he didn't hear it. He has become numb. He could still feel the stab in his chest and the twist in his gut. It was so much worse than before.

For once, Clint was glad the teacher told them to be quiet.