X. Holding Out

April 25, 2019

Lindsey woke up the next morning. 

As he brushed his teeth and shaved and threw on his clothes, he was still stuck in the dreamscape of 2011. If only I'd said the right thing... 

But a hopeful Stevie was gone. Those days when he'd been married but she'd still dreamed of them, Stevie and Lindsey together again, were woefully uncomplicated as compared to now. But even while now facing the minefield that was Stevie, he was prepared to play the long game and win. 

Forcibly perking himself up, he clambered down the stairs, humming "Pinball Wizard," to spend an uninterrupted, quality-family morning with the kids. 

This was his reality. He was a dad first. So he had to do right by them. 

He only hoped that the rest — namely Stevie — would follow.

"Hi, Daddy!" Stella called out from the table. "Mom made omelets! They're so good!"

Leave it to his one of his girls to bring back sunshine to his day. 

He pulled up a chair. "Good morning, Button! Lee and Will! I'm starved, and this does look really good, Kris." He picked up a fork and dug in. 

And Lindsey Buckingham thought to himself, I am so blessed, in spite of how rotten of a deal Stevie and I have.

The world was bright... FOR NOW.

***

*** 

In the months following her explosive day and night with Lindsey, Stevie threw herself wholeheartedly into work on her new album. She continued living in her Ice Palace and hosting Dave and Don, as well as holding brief collaboration sessions with Christine, John, Mick, Waddy, Dave Grohl, and Mike Campbell.

She wanted this baby to be her best yet. Yes, Stevie planned to sing until she dropped dead, but not knowing when that would be, she wanted to put out something new and adventurous and dangerous musically while she still felt in peak vocal and creative form.

All the tracks were fully written, and she had a specific vision for each one. It wouldn't be like In Your Dreams that as glory as it was, had really been a two-person job. This new album would be solely hers.

Her home studio was buzzing with vibrant creativity. Dave was his usual jovial and whacky self. Don was also himself.

That meant that while Stevie was working herself to the bone, as she was trying to fend off thoughts of Lindsey, she was also having to put up with Don.

Don's level of flirtation only intensified. Stevie got nervous.

***

May 18, 2019

"EEEEEeeek!"

Don laughed uproariously at Stevie as she jumped a good two into the air. In spite of his protectiveness and disgust at Don taking liberties with Stevie, even Dave laughed.

Stevie whirled around to confront the man who had just copped a feel and pinched her bum.

"If you're looking for cheap thrills, look elsewhere!" She commanded firmly.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Don laughed harder. He really couldn't take her being serious. When they'd been a couple, he'd found Stevie's bossy mode cute and sexy. Now, he just found it hilarious because try as she might, he knew her too well and she was just too shrimpy to really be scary.