Chapter 1. Part 1 - The Paralyzed Man

I turned my sight around. A slight cool breeze blew in my direction and I inhaled deeply. My agent told me that there was a group of large oak trees near the house I was going to go. And that was easy to notice. From a far the oak trees stood sturdy in front of a large wooden gate. I walked down toward the tall gate along the path with the lush green scenery at both sides.

Actually, I was feeling nervouse as the place was so quiet as it's a remote area of Darlington. As I came close to the gate, I tried to sniffing the fresh, semi forest air which gradually mixed with flowers fragrance. Carefully, I opened the gate. As the gate opened wide, the large garden exposed stunningly for my eyesight. I stood astonished.... Over the beautiful garden I saw the largest building I had ever seen. It was in classical architecture. Steadying my intention I made my way the house's front door.

I'm a nurse. This day I had an appointment with a family for confirming my job to take care of a man in that house. The agent informed me that the patient was paralyzed below his waist after the car accident.

I thought, it's ok I have to tend an old man with physical disability, as I used to handle any kind of decrepit peoples. I enjoyed my job, though some patients had given me some difficulties, like the old grandma I took care of before who got me overwhelmed by her captiousness as well her accute senility, or that the irritable old man which had been, finally dead last month. He was not dead by my hand! God finally decided to take him home to the peaceful hereafter by a heart attack a moment after he scolded his nosy grandson!

I did my works with love and sincerity and all had done perfectly. And the most important thing was that the job could fund all my life needs. My family wasn't poor, but also not rich. After a private nursing course, finally I got this honorable job for these 3 years.

A while after I rang the bell, a black woman which I thought the housemaid opened the door. After I told her my intention, she let me in as she then moving upstairs. A minutes later, a mature woman came down. She's so beautiful in chic white dress and diamond jewelries. She gave me a light smile. She seemed pretty nice, I got my first impression of her.

"So, maybe I have to cure her husband..." That was a thing that came to my mind then.

"Hello, you're that nurse, right? I'm Marrielle, call me Mary!" She greeted me warmly.

"Yes, Mam. I'm Nadine. Nice to meet you!"

"Oke, to the point of your work, lady! Sorry, I'm in hurry for my reunion!" She said as looked at her gold watch.

"I will let you to meet him. He's in the backyard, come on follow me!"

I followed her. It was so big house with classic furnitures and a little bit modern touching by those electronic equipments. I noticed there were big screen televisions in some rooms.

Took several minutes long to reach the back side of the house which we must pass over three to four rooms. From the wide window glass, I could see a neat lawn with some flowering shrubs and green trees. She stopped walking and turned around to face me. She stared to my face for a while as if felt something which seemed quite serious...!

"Before you meet him, there is something you should to know...!"

"Oke.... What is it about?" I felt curious.

She took a sigh before open her red lips, "He has been facing the worst period of his life now... Before you, there were other 5 nurses had come. And, all of them have given up because of his bad tempers...!" She stared me hesitantly. "Even the last two...." She stopped.... "Those two men came to me with some bruises on their limbs and face, even one guy had been lost his teeth! I don't know how he did that with his condition....!" She whisperedwords slightly made me worried. "How could an old man, paralyzed can do that such things...?!" I mused.

"I hope you could understand and not get shocked by his reaction." She said again as moving her one hand gestured me to step close to the window.

"That he's. You see?"

Outside in the garden I saw a man was sitting on a wheelchair facing the pool

Outside in the garden I saw a man was sitting on a wheelchair facing the pool. From behind, I could guess he's a big man...his shoulders looked sturdy. I glanced to Mrs. Mary and looked her with my worry face. He could do anything with that big posture even in wheelchair!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks For Reading! ☺ Please Vote if you feel curious what will happen? If find sentence which need correction, just write it on comment, thanks! :-)