Chapter 4: Forgotten Memories

Jasper nodded slowly.

"You know, of course, I can't be certain you're telling the truth about any of this, but I believe you. As far as I know, I have nothing left to lose and no reason to exist. If you're lying, there's nothing you can take from me. So I'll believe you."

"Thank you. I hope you'll learn that you can trust me with anything. I have nothing to gain by lying to you."

"I'm sorry I hit you."

You tentatively placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled as you sat beside her.

"It's okay. I know you weren't really trying to hurt me."

"And I'm sorry for how I acted. You really are just glad I'm back, aren't you?"

"I haven't been happier in a long time," you said as you hugged her. Jasper flinched at first, but quickly calmed. After about a minute, she carefully put her arms around you and hugged you back.

"There are about a dozen things wrong with this," she muttered, then, lowering her voice almost to a whisper, "but it feels right."

"Even if you never remember everything that happened, I just want you to know that you'll always have a home here. No matter what you do, where you go, whether we've had a fight, you'll belong here. I promise," you whispered. "Say, it's kind of stuffy up here. Let's go back downstairs and I can show you around some more." You helped her up and led her down from the attic, then went to the end of the hall and opened one of the two doors there. "And here we are. Your old room, just the way you left it. I haven't touched a thing."

Jasper entered and slowly paced around, running her hand over the furnishings and taking in every detail.

"Yes... I remember this. You really did it. You gave me a home when I didn't deserve one." She sat on the bed. "I slept like humans do. But... I didn't sleep here often, did I?"

"Ah, not in this room, no."

"Where, then?"

"Across the hall," you answered, blushing deeply, "with, umm, with me."

Jasper raised an eyebrow.

"Oh," she exclaimed with some level of surprise, before proceeding to make a variety of faces ranging from curiosity to disgust to eagerness to shock to confusion.

"Oh, no, I didn't mean... not that we... I didn't mean it as a euphemism, is my point."

"Oh," she sighed in relief. "So, do you want me to sleep with you at night?"

"Not unless you'd be completely comfortable with that. You don't even remember me yet. I don't give you orders, but just take this one: never do anything which makes you uncomfortable just because you think you're supposed to."

"In that case, I'd rather sleep in here. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, my feelings aren't hurt. I'm not going to make you share a bed with a stranger! You don't even have to sleep if you don't want to. No need to act like a human just because you're living with one."

"(Y/N), I take it you haven't noticed, but I'm tired. I was corrupted this morning and now I'm in a human dwelling suffering from amnesia. I want to sleep right now."

"Ah, yes. I can see how that could be taxing. Do you want me to show you how to sleep?"

"No, no, that's okay," she said, lying down. "I think I can figure it out."

"All right. Just let me know if you need anything at all. Here, I'll just shut the curtains for you." You pulled the curtains across the room's one window, blocking out some of the light from the Sun which was still high in the sky. "Pinky!" you called. The dog came running upstairs to Jasper's bedroom and hopped up on the bed with her, Jack trotting behind him. Pinky curled at Jasper's feet, and you placed Jack carefully on her chest. You instinctively moved to kiss her forehead, but realised what you were doing and stopped yourself. "Sleep well Jasper." You softly patted her head and smiled at her, looking into her beautiful yellow eyes. They were old eyes, tired eyes, as they had been for a long, long time, but there was now also within them a certain gentleness, a certain newfound innocence. You felt your heart melt. Kneeling beside the bed, you carefully hugged her. "I really hope your memory comes back. Not for my sake. I just wish you could remember how happy you were. I wish you could be that happy again."