Chapter3

This is Kathrine talking!

As the trees fly by my window, I got to thinking about how much I haven’t gotten to do. I haven’t hiked a trail up a mountain, nor have I held a paranormal investigation, I haven’t- “Stop!” I scold myself. “It’ll only make you sadder, weaker.” I look at my friends. Astrid is right next to me, book in hand. Eve is next to her, also reading. Talia is right across from me, looking out her window.

                “Stop starin at me. There ain’t much to see and you’re makin me uncomfortable.” Astrid sighs, looking at me.

                “Sorry. Just, you know, a lot on my mind.” I answer.

                Astrid sighs again and closes her book. “As well as i.”

                “Like what?”

                “Home. You know, I never got to say good by my dad. Or Eliza, Sari, or Jonathan.” It was true. Jonathan was two years younger than us so he didn’t come to this school. Eliza, the second oldest, was in college. As well as Sari, the oldest. Astrid’s dad, Henry, worked in construction.

                Astrid chuckled humorlessly. “I’m more worried for my dad than I am for myself at the moment.” She had every right to. There have been a lot of deaths occurring at her father’s work. I hear about it all the time on the news. Men and women have been falling off the buildings, equipment falling on them, burns, strokes, heart attacks. It was a very difficult job. A very risky job. “He’ll be fine.” I assure her.

                “Hey guys look.” Talia points out the window. What we see is horrifying. Men and women are in fire retardant suits, trying to put out the largest field fire I’ve ever seen. Smoke starts to fog up the window, but not before we see a man, being burned alive.

                I sit back in my seat, that image burned itself into my brain. No pun intended. “Sorry guys.” Talia says. Nice timing. We had just gotten done thinking about Astrid’s father and his dangerous job. Nice job…

                Eve closes her eyes. “You didn’t know. It’s not your fault. I just wish I never saw that.”

                “Let’s hope that, that never happens in the games.” I tell them. That would be the last thing we need.

                “Stop thinking about the games, guys.” Astrid says, leaning back in her chair and rubbing her temples. “Just focus on now. Not on the future. Live your life. However long you’ve got to live.”

                She was right. We shouldn’t dwell on the future. Yet.