Chapter 10; Enchanting

Alyssa’s POV

 Dan and I walked down the stairs in the hopes of finding Dylan. We were interrupted by Jared stalking down the halls, almost as if he were waiting for something. Dan looked at me, unsure if we should still go forward with our search. I nodded. We couldn’t be scared of Jared if we planned on killing him.

“Good morning.” Jared had a poisonous smile on his face.

“Morning,” I answered briefly. “Have you seen Dylan?” I asked him.

“Gosh, I know I saw him. He may have gotten lost or something. He’ll turn up.” Jared smiled again; I could tell he was lying. He may turn up? Maybe dead! I thought to myself, but decided to keep it to myself.

“Alright, if you run into him let me know.” I said, my stomach lurched as I turned around. I looked back and saw Jared scowling at the door that was apparently his room.

“Madeira is here.” Dan mumbled into my ear.

“What?” I whispered, unsure how he knew this.

“I wasn’t just bluffing when I said I have super hearing.” Dan winked, and we kept walking towards the stairs.

Soon enough, Dylan showed up in our room. He went on and on about how sorry he felt for Madeira and what she went through. I had an ‘I told you so’ moment, and everything seemed fine. I couldn’t help but think that Madeira plain out lied to Dylan, but I wouldn’t crush his spirit.

 Within an hour, Jared called a few of us downstairs for a meeting. The people in the room were Jared, Madeira, Sophie, Dan, a teenage girl I didn’t know, and me. I looked around the room, surprised not to see Dylan around. Wouldn’t Jared want his son in this group?

The unknown girl reminded me of someone. Dan cut into my thoughts. “Is it just me, or is that,” He began, and we said Agnes at the same time. She looked like Agnes, just with a morphed face to appear unknown. But I’m guessing Dan recognized her eyes as I did. Agnes has a connection to the prophecy, but Edward wasn’t sure exactly what.

“Alright, welcome one and all who have been called to this meeting. Two at a time I will be calling you into my room to discuss strengths and weaknesses. Based on your behaviors the past few days you seem to be the strongest of fighters. First I would like to see Madeira and Sophie please.” Jared grinned and so did Madeira. Sophie looked frustrated but followed anyway.

 In the meantime, I approached the girl who looked like Agnes. “Who are you?” She grimaced at me as she spoke, and I could have sworn she hissed like a cat.

“Alyssa.” I said briefly. She looked shocked, almost as if she’d seen a ghost.

“I have to go.” She looked nervous and rushed away.

“Who are you?” I yelled after her. She hesitated. “Sarah.” She answered, and ran down the hall and into the third door on the left. I almost knew it was Agnes in disguise now, especially if Sarah was the first name to come into her mind. I looked at Dan.

“It’s got to be her.” He spoke as if he were answering my thoughts. I turned back and looked at the hall. “Yeah,” I hesitated slightly. “It has to be her.” I answered.

“Alyssa and Dan,” Jared beckoned us in as Madeira and Sophie left. Madeira held a stare at me, and I saw her mouth my father’s name to herself. Sophie winked and kept walking.

 I entered the room, hoping for the best.

 “Alright, you can each have a seat.” Jared’s face was smiling still, but his eyes were tired. Dan and I took a seat in the two office chairs in the back of the room.

 The room was weirdly shaped. It was like three large rectangles combined, almost like three rooms with two walls knocked out of the smaller sides. The famous Withers blade was hung over the large king sized bed. On the left corner there were pictures of many people and then there was a painting or two as well. There was a large photograph of Jared and my father, they were smiling. I don’t mean smiling in a creepy way, just smiling like average kids. Then there were several pictures of Madeira and Jared. But towards the bottom of the wall there was a small photograph. It was of Jared and my mother. They looked so happy together, she was laughing at the camera, and he was looking at her eyes. I half smiled at it. In a way, the pictures showed that he was a good person deep down, very deep down.

“So you both know the true purpose of this mission, to hunt and kill the savior.” Jared began. I could tell Dan was nervous, but he was doing pretty well at hiding it. I nodded, and Dan had a very loud mhm.

“Anyway, we have a feeling that the savior is a shadow watcher. Shadow watchers used to watch over demon hunters, that was before the death of Charisma Timms.” Jared said. I saw Dan tensing up a little, but he calmed himself after a few seconds.

“Yeah,” I answered.

“So tonight we’ll be observing all of you in the group that was called to see your power. Not that we are suspicious, we just don’t want to go on a wild goose chase if the answer is in our hands right here.” Jared spoke with a smile.

“So, Jared, you don’t ‘detect’ your son, but you do have your suspicions of the two people that protected him all of the way here? It is strange how that all works isn’t it?” Dan sighed, getting annoyed. I bit my lip but I didn’t make any noise. Why don’t you just tell him you are the savior now Dan? I thought nervously.

“Don’t worry. Neither of you are suspicious in my opinion.” He lied; I saw that face again when he spoke to Dan. “I just have to be assured I trust the correct people is all.” His face went straight. Dan nodded.

“You two may leave, I just didn’t want to do anything against your will.” Jared half smiled, and opened up the door allowing us out of the room.

When we got upstairs and into our room, I stared at Dan. “What the hell did you do?” I asked.