THE PHILOSOPHY OF CONTROLLING ANGER

The anger is in general sudden burst of mental energy.  On such moments the person does not know consciously what is he talking and why is he behaving in uncontrolled way. When the storm of this burst uncontrolled energy is drained, mind gets calm, one feels relaxed and then invariably he feels bad inwardly, however outwardly he may not admit his animal instinct and inhuman behavior. On the other hand, when this mental energy is allowed to release consciously, although outwardly it looks the burst of energy identical to the first case, but it does not hurt the little Self.  On the contrary, it gives the feeling of peace since it was the controlled and conscious anger on the other for his/her improvement without any interior motives. It is for the welfare of others with the controlled release of forceful energy. This type of anger is shown intentionally for some specific purpose for the benefit of the fellow being. Only self controlled persons, those have full command on their senses and are inwardly completely silent, can act in this way without involving and hurting them self. Their sole aim is the welfare of the fellow being. The anger of the first type is the most common in the society, among the family members and it is spread worldwide. This needs to be well understood, analyzed and to find the means to control it is the basic purpose of this analysis.

There are various causes of un-controlled anger but basically it can be classified in the two main causes. The first is psychological; and second as physiological. Physiological anger is linked with the physical condition of the body i.e. physical sickness, high blood pressure, heart issues and other physical ailments. The physiological cause is the prime cause of the burst of anger under various conditions that shows unpredictable behavior of the person. Physiological anger can be managed by controlling and overcoming the physical ailments but psychological anger cannot be controlled without self-efforts and modulating the attitude of life.

The anger due to the psychological cause is basically linked with the un-fulfillments of the desires. When desires are not fulfilled, these may lead/develop anger or depression in the mind of a common man. These desires can be related to material, sexual, power or of any other nature. The unfulfilled desires lead/generate sudden burst of mental energy in the form of anger on subordinates in the office, on younger, peers in the profession due to various reasons, may be just or unjust. Sometimes this energy can burst on elders and superiors. Egoism due to position, due to money power or because of administrative glamour can make a person inflammable on the smallest issues. Environment, surroundings and social interaction can ignite such people for an insignificant and irrelevant issue, although he does not have any control at all on such issues.

The question is what a person must do if he really wants to control his anger and has keen desire to overcome it. So that peace of mind is maintained under any conditions. Anger must work under his command and not that he is governed by anger and subsequently repents after showing the anger.

If one critically looks within himself, he can easily analyze the cause of anger for each incidence, but as a human nature, he will try to justify and will try to find the faults with others without blaming him self. For a common balanced human being “judge you and not the others” gives insight regarding the causes of anger. Broadly speaking, the one who gets angry easily is having very fragile and weak mind. Such people with weak mind are incapable of taking slight jerk of pressure of stress in day-to-day life. Or in other words the wisdom related capacity of their mind is very small and has a limited human capability. Of course they may be very intelligent, capable in worldly/materialistic activities. It is similar to the case of a milk pot having a small capacity but milk in the pot is more or less full. In other words managing bigger responsibilities with more administrative power with less capacity of mind is the same case as of small milk pot and excess of milk. As on heating milk boils and spills out from such a pot with little heat, similarly bursting of energy takes place immediately from a weak-minded person under slightest stressful conditions. So the remedy boils down to the following measures to control the anger: