2 - One Step At A Time

[[A/N: Same disclaimer applies from last chapter, in that you can consider this a flashback if you like. Because obviously I can't change my writing style completely.]]

[[Haymitch's POV]]

Dad and I were halfway home before I even tried to catch up with him. He wasn't exactly running - he'd be much slower if he were, since he was usually sick in some way - but he was walking very quickly, like he was in a hurry. "Dad, slow down... I can't keep up!" I whined - which I didn't normally do - and stared at his back until he turned around and sighed. He coughed a few times and I ignored it, not wanting to see the blood that was probably on his hands because of it. It scared me so much, always making me worry that he'd choke or something. And none of us had any real idea what made it happen, which was even worse.

"Sorry, Haymitch... I just need to get home and rest, I have to go back to work tomorrow and I'm not feeling well" my dad answered. I looked down sadly, feeling bad for asking now when I knew what most days were like for him. As he slowed down and allowed me to catch up before we continued on our way home, I started thinking about how he'd even gotten so sick in the first place. My dad was just one of what felt like thousands of miners in District 12, all of whom left for work when it was still dark and came home hours after I did. He didn't say much about what he did, but I knew it wasn't an easy job. On the rare occasions when I could wake up early enough to see him leave, his uniform was just as dirty as it'd been the night before, and he always looked so tired. The only reason he was even home today was because Mom had found him shaking on the floor and coughing up blood two weeks ago - and then she had yelled, "Xavier, please... Stay home for a while until that stops!" And Mom almost never shouted, so I knew it was bad.

"Are you sure you can?" I asked nervously, hoping I wasn't upsetting him - like I'd seemed to upset that Renay girl I met today. I felt pretty bad about that because I hadn't meant to be rude, but I was tired, embarrassed and worried about my homework - I didn't do any of it at home yesterday because Dad had been sleeping and Mom needed help hanging out the laundry. It seemed like that was happening more often lately - Dad would get worse, and Mom needed more help at home because she was pregnant.

"Son, I need to do this... You'll be having a baby brother or sister soon, and we need the money even more" Dad told me, smiling a very small smile before adding "When I married your mother, I promised I would take care of her always. That's part of being a husband and a father, you take care of the ones you love no matter what".

The rest of the walk home was quiet, but his words echoed in my head. I'd heard him say similar things before, but I understood it better now that I was a little older. I tried to do the same, even though I wasn't old enough to work, and I was just their son - I helped Mom as much as she needed, because I loved her and she was more important than my homework anyway.

Once we got home and my dad opened the front door, Mom waddled over slowly and smiled at him, hugging him for as long as she could - which wasn't much, since her big belly was getting in the way. "I can't wait to meet him..." she said happily, making my dad laugh.

"How do you know it'll be a boy, Cara?" he asked, kissing her. She giggled and I just rolled my eyes; I thought it was kind of gross. Oh well, that's just what parents do... I told myself, shrugging and leaning against the wall. She gave him an even bigger smile and replied, "I just know... It's a boy, and he'll be every bit as smart and kind and handsome as our Haymitch!" At this sudden piece of praise from Mom, I looked up to see her looking back. She held out her arms and I dropped my bag to the floor, hugging her and resting my head against her belly. "Would you like a brother or a sister, Haymitch?" she asked. Lifting my head so I could see her face, I really had to stop and think. A sister would be nice, maybe, but I didn't think I'd be very good with one. None of my friends were girls - I hung out with a small group of other Seam boys my age - so I didn't really have much practice, because the girls didn't usually join in our games. Indeed, Renay was the only girl at school I'd spoken to in a while, and I hadn't exactly been any good at that. But I was okay with other boys, maybe because I was one and had more in common with them. So, I decided, I definitely wanted a brother - someone I could teach to play soccer with me, who I could be close to and get along well with.