Explanation

Harry and Niall have always been best friends. They attend public school together.

Harry had other friends, but mostly acquaintances.

Despite Harry's messy life at home, he'd always successfully hide that whenever he went to school. He would hide his bruises with his hoodie, and Niall wouldn't question it. He wasn't the type to be quite nosy.

His step father and mother did not get along well. The only reason they got married was because his mother thought that he could help them get out of this town, but when he lost his job and spiralled into drug addiction, their fights started to become worse over time. Harry would used to cut as a coping mechanism; thus, having the hoodie to hide it all. Niall knew Harry would always get cold easily, so he wouldn't suspect a thing whenever the boy would just randomly wear hoodies at school.

Harry would lock his room and hide in there, blocking out all the noise of glass breaking and yelling. He'd always wish his life was easier, and that he wouldn't be too ashamed to share what he's been going through to anyone else.

Even he couldn't talk to his own mother because he was still too pissed at her for choosing to marry a man she has just met in the club she was working in. She was stubborn, and Harry hasn't had a close relationship with her for that reason.

The time came when their fights turned even worse. Harry's mother came home with the furniture all over the place, and his step father had just finished drinking. It started being physical when his mother threw the glass bottle at his face.

And then, she left. Not even thinking about Harry. This hurt him—but he wasn't surprised. She was the type to leave all her responsibilities behind. She was selfish, and Harry knew that she hadn't cared for him a single bit. It was because he wasn't planned and his biological father left before he was even born. His mother would jokingly tell him that he ruined her life, but he knew it wasn't a joke.

Harry has kept up a facade for a very long time. It wasn't difficult until he started feeling unusual abdominal pain. He would try to ignore the feeling away—in hopes that it would just disappear, but it came to the point where he couldn't eat anymore because of how painful it became. Every time they had to eat at school, Niall would be confused as to why Harry wouldn't eat at times. Harry would just tell him he didn't want to and that he already ate a big portion of food at home.

Because of this, he went to the hospital to have it get checked, without anyone's notice. He then gets diagnosed with cancer.

Despite not having money, the hospital was able to offer him a deal and he's been accepted into a program that treats cancer patients who don't have the budget. However, since he was a minor, the hospital needed a guardian's permission for the paperwork, so Harry had no choice but to inform his step father about it, since he was the only guardian he had who was in town.

While in the hospital, Niall would constantly call Harry, and he would always lie. He had the mindset that no one had to know. No one had to know that his life was a mess. It was only going to make him feel worse. He didn't want anyone to pity him. He didn't want anyone to see him like this.

He would tell Niall that he was done being friends with him, and that he should never call him again as he's moved to another town because his step father found another job. Niall didn't question it and went on with his life.

Eventually, the doctors announced that the treatment wasn't enough and that Harry needed to look for other options that could treat his condition further.

Unfortunately, he had nothing anymore. He was tired of hurting. He turned it down and just accepted his fate.

The time came that he became too weak. He has passed.

Usually, the hospital would cover everything when the patient passes without any funds to handle the funeral, but the step father insisted that he can take the boy's coffin and bury it himself.

He used this opportunity to raise money for the "funeral", but he only used the donations to buy whatever he needed—which was the things that satisfied his drug addiction. He wasn't thinking normally at this point. Eventually, the step father left town and forgot about the coffin as the donations had stopped coming in. Everyone just assumed that the funeral has taken place, but it turned out that it hasn't, and Niall was the one to discover it.

He was petrified when he saw Harry's ghost from the distance. He was pissed as well, since he knew he could have done something to save Harry from that hell, but he couldn't. Not when Harry kept everything from him since the very beginning. He was furious about the fact that he almost could have saved him, but he didn't get to, and he wanted to stop thinking about it.

Harry's soul was always there to tell him things. Phrases like "nobody needed to know" and "don't tell anyone" would often be heard by him. It was his soul trying to ask for help, but Niall understood it as him trying to warn him not to tell anyone about the coffin he had just discovered. Unfortunately, Harry's soul could only be seen by people who he thought could help him.

As a soul, Harry couldn't directly tell what he wanted to. He was only reliving the moments that he had experienced when he was alive to give out hints of what he wanted to say. Louis was able to witness it because he was the only person who tried to talk to Harry—and he was able to see the boy in the first place because Harry felt that he could help him somehow. They had this connection. He had the drive to know who he was the first time he saw him sitting there in the distance.

All along, it has been a cry for help, but Louis was the only one to ever notice it.

Louis saw Harry's soul because perhaps, they could have been soulmates, and if he were to arrive at the right time, things could have been different.

The end-

A/N: just goes to show how even if you've found your soulmate, situations won't always be as planned. Sometimes, they find you when it's already too late, but they help you the best way they could.

Hi! that's basically it. Hope you all understand it better now. I really apologise because I genuinely don't find this book good at all, and I'm quite confused as to why it got this much attention 😭 either way, I'm so thankful for your continuous support so I decided to write a chapter that could settle everything.

Hope you enjoy and I insist for u to check out my other works especially "strawberries and cigs" which is a book that I'm working on right now.

Comment your questions and thoughts.