Chapter Six

(Author's note: Hello again. Unfortunately, our author's note creativity is running rather dry right now. There are only so many ways to say: "Vote and comment please. We hope you like it, and thank you for reading." Wait. That's it. We just found one. Vote and comment please. We hope you like it, and thank you for reading.

- E and A)

On Tuesday morning, K6 was once again assaulted by the Insight.

The novelty the publication had enjoyed upon its first appearance was now gone, replaced with a sense of foreboding. The threat of being caught reading it was too great, and few Olegates dared to approach the contraband papers. The clusters that formed around the bulletin boards were composed of only a handful of Malplian, and the Senvalorates that could read. Audra scanned this article from behind other onlookers, much as she had before.

If you were lucky enough to arrive immediately after it was posted last Wednesday, you may have seen this publication before. But if you weren't, there's a reason you never saw a copy. Last week, the Insight published an exposé on the inhumane conditions in the new Senvalorate hospitals, where patients are intentionally exposed to dangerous viruses, among other atrocities. But shortly after it was published, it was removed. School administration destroyed every copy, and all students were ordered to report the perpetrator, not in spite of the article's truth, but because of it. You might be asking: "What's so wrong with that?" The answer is simple. This is a classic example of censorship, a concept that has showed up throughout history. It is characterized by a government that does not allow its citizens to express their own opinions, unless it shares those opinions.

The PA system, although less immediately than it had before, responded to the new Insight. Audra recognized the principal's voice. "Twice now, an individual, or group of individuals, has made a grave mistake. The administration, well within its right, must control the narrative within a school, to make sure that falsehoods are not spread. For that reason, we will continue to seriously pursue the investigation of this offence. Make no mistake, whether or not you personally are the guilty party, we are all responsible for what happens here at K6. This deeply touches each and everyone of us. We must make sure that the environment here is not political or extremist, but rather an ideal version of our society. Because of this, if you know anything at all about what happened here, tell us about it, for the greater good. That is all."

Audra's shoes tapped the linoleum floor as she rejoined the bustling microcosm that was K6.

***

"Visiting again, Gregory?" Dr. Tralles said, a smile flickering across her aquiline features. "Peg's lucky to have such a good friend."

She had certainly become warmer. Her sympathy was almost a comfort, but Gregory wondered how she could seem so considerate while thoughtlessly sending patients to Ward X. That was stupid, he thought. The answer to his question was easy: he was an Olegate, and Dr. Tralles' patients were Senvalorates. With this contemplation, he uttered an impersonal greeting and moved past the doctor towards Peg.

"Hi," he said, arriving at Peg's bedside.

She grabbed his arm with her spidery hand, her fingers wrapping in thin wires around his wrist.

"They're gonna send me to Ward X."

He was silent for a moment before he could softly whisper, "What?"

Peg's grip, which was weak and gentle to begin with, dissolved, her hand seemingly gossamer floating away in a breeze.

"Why?" Gregory pressed for more details.

"They didn't tell me."

"Did they tell you anything else about the transfer?"

"Even Dr. Tralles doesn't know anything. It's the computer that decides."