II

Gredorrian state dinners, held only once per annum here in our home country, were always the center of great discussion. It was always greatly speculated who would be at the receiving end of our invitation each year. My father's advisers prepared him for the night months in advance, and at any point of this preparation, if I would peak into his private study, his desk would be cluttered with letters, books, and newspapers, both foreign and domestic. Although Gredorra wasn't a world power, as Britain was considered, we certainly had the economy and population to constitute being a crucial trading partner for our allies as well as being a significant cultural center in Europe. Our specific bloodline was respected and ran as far back as can be traced to the 8th century. Therefore, we certainly held an important seat in European politics.

My father ensured that all of us children, even myself, were educated thoroughly in our own history during our private tutoring. We were all to be well literate in everything concerning our place in the world and the names which we bore. So, besides a good upbringing of lessons in dancing and etiquette, as a daughter of the crown I did enjoy certain perks including history and geography classes, which was more than most daughters even of the nobility could say for themselves. And so, with the help of peering over my father's shoulders at his newspapers, even I could keep up with my brothers during their worldly discussions.

My mother hardly approved of this of course. She held a firm belief that it was beyond our interests to be involved in such things, as was evident as I walked down the staircase and joined my family. My mother busied herself with her crocheting as she sat a good distance away from my father and my three brothers. They stood talking together passionately about some subject before my eldest brother, William, caught my eye on entering.

"There's my beautiful little sister," he stepped away from the group and bowed towards me before putting his arm out for me to take. I curtsied shyly from his comment, before slipping my arm around his and walked with him towards the others. Whatever conversation they had been indulging in was clearly deemed over upon my arrival. My father's face softened as he took in my appearance. He himself was dressed in his military best, his golden epaulettes and medals pinned on his jacket. The grey beard framing his jaw was freshly trimmed and he smelt distinctly of a cologne I was sure he had never used before. I suppose the occasion now called for it. At least this side of the room was giddy for the night to come compared to the dulled face of my mother.

"She is our very own Helen," his voice was gruff, but I could still hear the endearment in it.

I smiled at him, "Oh, don't flatter me, father. And don't let me ruin your discussion. You know I do love a good debate, even if I must listen in from a distance in mother's presence." My father gave me a knowing look as I smiled in playfulness. The men in my family did always find me perfectly amusing.

"I do have fine working ears, you know," Mother chimed in from behind me. She didn't look up, too focused on her work.

With nobody offering anything else to say, William laughed, a bit forced if my hearing didn't mistake me, although I ignored the peculiarity of it, "Oh, it was nothing at all of your interest, just some speculation, that's all. Our families haven't met with each other in 97 years. Father said something clever, along the lines that it was another Hundred Years War."

I smiled, "Well, it's a good thing to be over now. I think it's best to end conflict whenever we can. This is a new century and surely we must begin new practices. However you've managed to break the barrier with Prylia, father, I applaud you for it."

William grinned, "I couldn't have said it any better myself, Addy. This is a historic night."

"And in good timing as well," my mother muttered from behind us. I turned to her to question what she meant, but decided against it and kept my words in my mouth. It wasn't the time to test her patience with me. If there was any night to act like a princess, I finally understood that it was tonight, the circumstances coming together in my mind. Having been on so tight of terms with the state of Prylia for so long, this was my father's chance to rebuild the relationship from the ground up. A neighboring country so close to us, and so close to the sea, was obvious in its importance to us. The outcome of this dinner would change the course of the century. I could already imagine the headlines appearing on every newspaper tomorrow morning.