Chapter 6

The King cleared his throat and continued,

"Therefore, to not suspend the Passing on Ceremony I have come to the conclusion to wed Kasper to the lovely lady standing next to him..."

Next to him was the lady in red and me.

It must be her.

Of course it's her, which is why the crowd turned around to only look at her and admire her beauty. I got a couple of glances but they were quickly replaced with the look of admiration at the lady in red, as if I could never be the possibility, and only she had the standards to become the bride of a prince. For god sakes, these people barely knew me after all. Yet somewhere deep inside of me I felt the feeling of hope, the feeling of faith, and at the same time I had the feeling of dread of being put down.

"I would like to congratulate and give my blessings to Kasper and his to-be bride, Valeria Cross."

Those words hit me like a powerful sound wave and I would've fallen if it weren't for the guy on my left side. Quickly regaining my strength my thoughts started to take over again.

Valeria Cross.

The name echoed in my head and my mind kept on replaying his majesty's words. I was probably the only one not clapping with everyone and I was probably the only one who wasn't smiling and full of joy.

I didn't even want to look at the new couple, scared that suddenly tears would start rolling down my face.

I feel ashamed. Ashamed that I couldn't even congratulate them, especially Kasper who has helped me in so many ways and granted me a new life.

I am a pathetic, pathetic, stubborn person aren't I?

I have to congratulate them no matter how much it hurts me.

I tried to put on the brightest smile I could manage and started walking to the place they were standing in. Many people were congratulating them now and I was waiting for my chance to slip in.

Kasper thankfully waved to me, gesturing to come closer. This made it easier to get to him as the crowd made a path, though as I got closer it also made it harder to look at them together.

Valeria, who I found out was the lady in red, and I hate to admit it but she looked gorgeous and perfect in so many ways, I could tell she was the type that carried confidence with her wherever she went, catching everyone's attention. I have no chance against her.

Kasper had his hand over her waist and their bright smiles and the look in their eyes revealed the type of love I could never have.

Just a few feet away from them I again put on a mask that held a face of delightment and happiness.

Right when I was about to offer my congratulations, Valeria quickly interrupted and said "I apologize but may you excuse us for a bit?"

And even before I gave my reply, Valeria, pulling Kasper closer to her, left the ballroom with him.

***

(After 10 minutes, in the ladies room)

What am I doing here? As if being upset is going to help anyone, but here I am sitting in one of the stalls.

Just because Kasper flirts times, doesn't mean he likes me. After all I always find him fooling around with other ladies. Of course it's not me that was picked; I don't stand a chance to Valeria.