Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Ance knew there was going to be trouble the moment they rode onto the streets of Grandy and he saw those familiar horses and tackle hitched beside the saloon. Ance had a reputation and one he'd spent his entire adult life building--toting around a little girl with a bad leg and the ability to have him learning to braid and washing laundry just wouldn't fit that image at all. 

And the men currently occupying The Bucking Mule Saloon were a few who would certainly let him know just how unlike him his current self was. They'd be more than willing to take advantage of that too. 

Ance's one armed grip on Penelope tightened as did his jaw. He'd kill any person who dared attempt to harm his girl--even if their only weapons were harsh words. Hell, Ance knew that keeping Penelope with him was dangerous... If he ran into Barnaby Wallace things would get real deadly real fast and there were plenty of other men who didn't care much for Ance.... But Ance vowed in his heart that he'd never let any more harm come to this child than she'd already endured. 

Ance led their horse toward one of only two hotels in the small town of Grandy. "Ance, I think I need a new dress," Penelope stated, sticking her finger through one of the many tears in her skirt and wiggling it around in the air. 

Ance chuckled, "I figured I'd just let you wear that one 'til it falls plumb apart."

"It has fell plumb apart!" Penelope exclaimed with a laugh.

"Well how about I just see what I can do," Ance replied. He slid off the mare's back and pulled Penelope down. Instead of setting her on her feet, he tossed her onto his back and she laughed as he held her legs around him and she looped her little arms around his neck. 

Ance's hat fell to the ground and he hooked it with his boot, tossed it up and Penelope caught it before plopping it onto her own head. "That's my hat, Penny," Ance reminded her. 

"It looks better on me," Penelope assured him. 

All Ance could do was chuckle. They went inside, Ance requested and paid for a room and asked for a bath to be brought up. Once he had Penelope settled into the bath, he went to the door. "I'll be back shortly. I gotta go take care of some things. If you need help, ring that bell next to you and they'll hear it downstairs and send someone up." 

"Okay," Penelope replied, only half paying attention as she played in the rose scented bubbles. 

Ance left the hotel and fixed his hat on his head as he stepped out into the sunlight. He figured Penelope would want to stay here for at least a few days and so he didn't need to stock up on supplies just yet but there were a few other things he was wanting to pick up. 

Ance stepped into the mercantile, which boasted of having everything you could ever need and was the only store in Grandy other than the gun shop and an apothecary. Ance knew he'd be stopping there as well to get some herbs for a good pain fighting tea that would be safe for Penelope to take on the days her leg pained her too badly. 

"Can I help you?" the storekeep asked a bit hesitantly as he pushed his glasses up on his bulbous nose and looked Ance up and down. 

Ance nodded and stuck his thumbs through his belt loops. "I am looking for a dress." 

"I don't reckon they'll have any here that'll fit you," a somewhat familiar voice stated from Ance. 

Ance turned slowly and recognized Clarence McCready, a mouthy bastard who had always rubbed Ance the wrong way. Ance was a private man and Clarence McCready was loud-mouthed, nosy and liked to think his shit didn't stink.