Chapter 4 - Flo's Diner

Melody woke up 6:00 sharp the next morning, as usual, for work at the diner. She pinned her brown hair up, threw on her uniform, and headed out the door into the brisk morning. She was happy the rest of her family was gone for a few days, it gave her time to relax. They were off visiting relatives a few hours away, Melody had played sick so she didn't have to go. It's not like they're her family anyway. The neon sign in the distance told her she was close to Havens only diner and she exhaled. Haven was quite a small town, but it had a lot of interesting businesses and people. The problem Melody had with Haven was that everyone knew her. She needed a place where she could start fresh and have a new beginning. She needed a place where people wouldn't stare and treat her like she didn't belong.

When she got to work, her boss Flo handed her white apron over and smiled, "Just in time." As they waited on a few customers Flo told her the familiar story of how she got her classic diner name, but Melody wasn't listening. She was thinking about the lush green jungle of Neverland, Pan's haunting smirk, and the way Neverland made her feel like she belonged. Not only did she want to go back, she needed to. That's why she decided to go back that night to see him. She didn't care what she had to do or what she had to say to convince him, she was going to live there and be the fist Lost girl; at least that's what she thought.

Deep in her thoughts, Melody jumped and dropped the empty tray she was holding when she felt someone's hand on her shoulder. "Easy!" Flo said in a soothing tone. "What's the matter with ya today?" As Melody bent to pick up her tray she stuttered, "S-sorry Flo, I guess I'm just distracted." "Everything okay at home?" She asked, after a minute pause. "Of course" Melody answered. "Everything okay with your plan?" Flo continued quietly with a small smile playing at her lips. She was the only person Melody told of her plan to run away; she was like a mother to her, and she trusted her with her life. Melody smiled and whispered back, "The plan has never looked better Flo. I'll be leaving soon if everything goes right." Flo gave her a sad smile, "Well I hope you find everything you're looking for." "Thank you Flo, it means a lot." Melody answered, holding back tears. As Flo gave her a comforting pat and walked over to a young couple ready to pay, someone else walked through the door.

"Louis!" Melody grinned warmly as she ruffled her little brother's hair. He scowled and began fixing this mornings perfect hair-do. "Sorry!" She chuckled. "I thought you guys were at Aunt Stacey's for the week?" "We came home early because we missed you!" He grinned. She smiled at him though she saw through the lie instantly. "Well tell mum I'll be home late today, I'm picking up another shift before supper." "Oh.. Well ok, I just wanted to come see you." "Thanks kiddo. I'll see you after work." Melody grinned as she ruffled his hair once more. She stared at him as he left and realized a fatal flaw in her wondrous plan. Her smile faded like it was never there. What should she do about Louis? His life here wasn't as bad as hers, but she knew he felt he didn't belong; as she did when she was his age. She didn't want him to turn out like she did.

So she decided to take Louis to Neverland with her.