Chapter Two

I sat in my white, bland room.  The only color was my black, form fitting gear, which all of the subjects were forced to wear all the time.  I wiped the tears from my eyes, and went over to the door of the cell, and banged on it twelve times.  One bang for each subject.  The guard at the door looked at me and smirked, and opened it up.

"Well then, you want a shower do ya?  Well, know you can always shower with me of you like 012." he said, and bared his teeth in the parody of a grin.

I resisted the urge to spit at him in the face, and instead said, "My name is Safiya, not 012."

"I will call you what I want, when I want, 012." He spat.

"What ever." I said indifferently, but on the inside I was fuming.

He led me down the hall, and into the shower room.

"Don't even think about shifting into a sardine and swimming down the drain." He said.

I rolled my eyes.  Been there done that.  I had done it once, and then I ended up in the sewers.  I had shifted when I had gotten out, and I would have escaped, if it weren't for that workman who found me.  The outside world had apparently been told that I was crazy, and that the lab above was an insane asylum.  When I had tried to tell the workman about what they were doing to children up there, he thought I was being a raving lunatic, and brought me back to the lab.  I had been punished severely for trying to escape.  I walked into the shower room, and took off my clothes.

Hey, Safiya! A familiar voice echoed into my head.

I jerked back in surprise, which made me bang my head up against the tiled wall.  I shook my head in disbelief, didn't Rayferd know about privacy?  I sent all of my anger and disapproval through the telepathic link we shared.  He felt my negative thoughts and quickly went out of my mind.

I finished up my shower, and went out, ringing my thick silver hair out with a towel, and found a new set of training clothes on the little in table where I had set my old ones.  These ones were the color of the gray fur of the wolf I usually transformed into.  I looked at them suspiciously, and wondered what was going on.  What ever it was, it wouldn't be good.