Chapter 5

It was lunchtime. I was standing in the line to get my food while the cafeteria filled up. Someone lightly touched my back, fingers scarcely brushing my shirt. I looked up to see Ben's dark eyes. We were barely resisting the need to touch each other.

"How was your day?" he asked.

It took a long moment before I answered. His emotionless eyes and flat voice scared me. "Better than yours by the looks of it."

A ghost of a smile appeared on his lips, but it did nothing to his lifeless eyes. We were already being handed our trays when I realised that he had never told me what was wrong.

We walked side by side. I froze when I saw where he was headed. Ben turned to look at me, his face full of confusion. "They won't be happy with me sitting with them. I'm a Galager, remember?"

"You're also my roommate and my friend," Benjamin said in an exaggerated tone before turning serious. "Come on. I'm the Alpha and I'm asking you to join me at my table."

I fought to suppress the blush that was rising to my cheeks. I dipped my eyes to the floor and followed Ben to the table. The pack fell silent as we approached. I didn't look up at them. Ben must've said something through their mind link, because chatter started up again.

I took my seat next to Ben. An awkward air hung around our table. Other students were staring at me, whispering to each other. The rest of his pack, seated at tables all around us, shot us uncertain glances.

Corbin and Harry tried to break the tense air with jokes and loud talking. I'd learned that Corbin was the pack's beta, the second in command, and Harry the gamma, or third in command. Ben trusted them with his life.

Ben leaned over to me. "You look ready to bolt," he said with a smile.

"I've never actually known anyone my age before," I admitted.

"Wait. So you've never had any friends?" Corbin asked. I shook my head. "Well, that's luckily changing. Ben's your friend. I'm your friend. Harry?"

Harry thought for a moment. "What about your pack members?"

"My parents never allowed me to talk to them. Most were busy with training anyway." My confidence was growing. "You have to keep in mind that we were all raised to execute the work of both the Council and the Circle one day. Anything but our training was considered unnecessary."

"So you're suppose to serve on a council that decides the fate of all werewolves and other supernatural species?" Harry asked.

"Pretty much, yeah."

"Yes," Harry said, sticking his fork in his steak. We looked at him in confusion. "Yes, I'm his friend."

I smiled.

"Wait, is there a difference between the Circle and the Council?" Corbin asked. My shock must have shown on my face, because they all laughed.

"A very big difference!" I exclaimed.

"So is that going to be your job?" Corbin asked. "The whole Circle and keeping the peace thing?

I hesitated. I'd always hoped that it would be, yes. But with everything that had happened, I doubted it. Ben's pacj had now fallen into the slot of strongest pack in the world. I glanced at Benjamin. If they found out about him, I'd never be allowed in a meeting room again. Benjamin must have guessed my thoughts, because he subtly dipped his hand under the table and gripped mine. His eyes were locked on mine and I could see the unspoken words of encouragement in them.

"Are you guys busy friday night?" Corbin suddenly asked.

Harry groaned. "I told you to not even bring it up. The fewer people that know about this, the better."

"They're not going to tell!" Corbin exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air. "Right?" He looked at us with suspicion in his eyes.

"I have no idea what you are talking about," I said.

Ben sighed. "Sneaking out. They're talking about sneaking out."

"Isn't that against the rules?" I asked.

"Oh come on, Finn! Haven't your ever broken the rules to have fun?" I looked at Harry dryly. "Right, I forgot. Galager here is the poster child of perfect werewolf."

Corbin started making chicken noises. "Don't bother yourself with them. You don't-"

I cut Ben off, "Then let's do it."

"That's what I'm talking about!" Corbin exclaimed. "We'll come and get you at around ten."

I was unsure, but nodded regardless.

Ben leaned closer to me. "What do you say we break another rule and skip class?" I hesitated. I would love to spend more time with Ben, but- "Come on, mister rigid."

I tried to control my laughter. Ben seemed to realise the innuendo and snorted in amusement.

I bit my lip, still uncertain. I made up my mind and squared my shoulders. "Alright. Then let's break a few rules."

My heart was pounding. I've never broken any rules before. Father always said that you had to be disciplined to be great. Harry and Corbin's heads snapped up. "We've missed something," Harry whispered.

Ben paid them no mind and said, "I know just the place."

As soon as we were far enough away that no stray eyes could catch us, Ben took my hand in his to lead me the rest of the way to wherever we were going.

We must've nearly been at the edge of the grounds when we stopped. We had come to a clearing. It was filled with flowers and butterflies. I looked around in wonder. It looked like the setting of a fairytale.

Ben led me to the center and plopped down on the ground, pulling me with him. I laughed. He made me lay down on my back and hovered over me. His arms were planted on either side of my head. His one leg was pressed between my spread ones. My breathing hitched.

Benjamin kissed me. It was slow and sensual. He pulled back. I lifted my head, desperately reaching for his lips again. He laughed.

I gripped the front of his shirt and pulled him to me again. He was pressed so close to me. I could feel his chest rising and falling with every breath. I could smell his aftershave's faint scent from this morning. I closed my eyes.

"I never thought this would happen," I confessed.

"Neither did I," he said. He pushed himself up and landed next to me on his back. We stared up at the clear sky. His one leg was thrown over mine. He entwined our hands and held them between us on the ground. "I never imagined I'd ever be this way with anyone, let alone a guy."

I laughed. "What is going to happen friday night?" I asked.

Ben laughed breathlessly. "You have no idea what you've gotten yourself into."

My eyes went wide. "That bad?"

Ben sighed. "Worse."