Chapter 3

The three figures walked slowly down the spiral stone stairwell, their feet making occasional small taps upon the stony cold surface. One could also hear the whispering of two male voices, but the voices were too small make out what they were saying. But up close, it was possible to hear what they were saying.

"She was imprisoned underneath the castle cellar, bound with the chains the witch created," Alexander finished. He held up the key, swinging gently on his pinkie finger.

 "This is the key to her prison." He handed the key to Alicia, who took it gingerly and ran her wrinkled fingers over the surface.

"It appears to me as a ordinary key. There should be no problems using it." Alicia passed the key back to Alexander, who pocketed it.

"We are nearly there."  Lord Albert announced quietly. Alexander knew his father was anxious; he himself was feeling a bit nervous.

As they reached the final steps to the cellar, Albert stumbled on the second-last step. Reaching out to steady his father, Alexander noticed the mixed emotions of worry and distress on his father's face.

 "Are you feeling well? You look rather terrible." Alexander whispered, his voice low, so that only his father could hear him.

"No, no, I am fine, it's only the nerves playing around." Albert waved a dismissing hand at his son and managed a smile.

"My Lord, perhaps it is better if you stayed out here." Their little exchange of words had caught the attention of the witch, and it was not difficult to see that Lord Albert was very distressed with anxiety.

Albert's mouth opened to protest, Alexander quickly intercepted.

"Yes, father, it would be better if you stayed outside. We will manage." Alexander smiled reassuringly at Albert.

The old man frowned deeply but with a glare from the witch, he nodded his consent.

"Right, we should get moving." Alexander placed his hand on the rusty door knob and turned. The old pine door resisted for moment, and then gave way with a loud creak.

"Damn!" Alexander was greeted by pitch black darkness as he stepped into the cellar. 

"Perhaps a fire stick would make things easier?" A voice said behind him.

Alexander jumped in surprise; he had forgotten that Alicia was comming with him.

"Definitely." Even in the darkness, Alexander could not help but grin.

Whoosh! Suddenly, on his right, a fire stick appeared, ablaze with flickering red flames.

"How did you do that?" Alexander was gazing with amazement at the witch. The fire stick had seemed to appear out of thin air.

Alicia shrugged. "I have my ways."

Together, they set to work, both scanning the floor for the largest jar, as the king had mentioned.

Finally Alexander spotted a jar that was larger than the average, and moved towards it. 

"I think I may have found the jar we are looking for," Alexander said, turning to look at the witch, but she was already making her way to the jar he stood at.

Alexander cautiously lifted the jar off the floor, taking care not to knock other jars over. Setting the jar aside, he turned around to look at the area where the jar had been. Except there was nothing. Just the timber of the floor. Frustrated, he placed the jar back into place.

"I do not think this jar would be in a common place. After all, the servants of the castle come down here to get food all the time, and the royal family would not want someone discovering the keyhole by accident." Alicia looked around the cellar as she spoke.