Ch. 5

"Alright, so you have all been briefed by either me, or Grey. Now that you all know the basics of how to use your partners, it is up to you to learn how to use and work with them best." Clint said clearing his throat in the living room. "Because they each have their own personalities created when you synched, even we don't know their likes and dislikes. So that is up to you as their owner and partner to learn everything there is to know about them. So our first objective here is to find supplies: clothes, weapons, food, water, any electronics or wires you can find for repairs to the Pokémon, and also survivors. We need to help those in need who can't make it to the refugee camps. Understood?"

"Okay. I understand that these orders are main priority, but who made you leader?" Mike asked as if he wanted to lead.

"I know that you all probably feel like you want to be leader, and that you feel I'm not the best qualified to lead, but look at yourselves. Just think back at how you all were acting not less than an hour ago. You were freaking out, unstable and unsuited to go out into this world alone." Clint said frankly. "The only two who were calm enough to think clearly were me, and Grey." He looked at Grey, "Now do you have any objections?" Grey shook his head. "Then it's settled. Are we all good." The rest of the group nodded silently.

"Okay," Clint continued, "here's what's happening. There are six houses within a mile radius of here. We will be broken into groups of two. These groups will be your groups for the rest of your time among the living, not to say we will die, but really try not to. The groups are as follows: Jack and Mike, try not to screw around to much but I know you two will work well together." They gave each other a fist bump. "Josh, you're with Grey," They looked at each other and shook their heads. "Alex since you and Lily always work best together, I am putting you in a group." They smiled at each other. "And Ace, you're with me." He gave a confirmation look.

Clint pulled out a map and started pointing out locations. "So Jack and Mike, your house is this one to the back with the red walls. Alex and Lily yours is to the west of that right here," he pointed to a house near a large clump of trees. "Next me and Ace will search the house east of us here. And finally Grey, you and Josh go to this house above it. We will search the last two houses to the northwest together. Meet back here in 30 minutes so we can regroup to search the last two houses. There are weapons in the garage for your personal protection. We have no firearms, so bare with us for now." Clint finished the brief and lead them to the garage to get weapons and backpacks to hold supplies.

"Okay now that we have everything settled, I have one last thing to say before we head out. Yes, this is a zombie apocalypse, but we know nothing about our enemies. The one thing I can say with almost certainty is that try not to make a lot of noise, it will attract them, but other than that we don’t know if they are attracted by movement, smell, or any other motives. So move with the utmost of caution. Got it?” They all shook their heads. “Now remember, 30 minutes. And I will let GonGon survey the lands for us so that we can know what's ahead of us. I will be monitoring everything from my laptop. She will alert me if there is any trouble. Okay lets head out."

            GonGon took flight as the teams spread out heading to their respective search points. Aside from searching for supplies, Clint had also urged them all to use this time to try and understand their Pokémon. The first group to reach their house was Alex and Lily. They were able to get in through a smashed window. The first place they checked was the kitchen. From there they decided to split up to cover more ground. Alex and Shark walked into a garage type room that was at the bottom of a short staircase.

Alexia Carter, or Alex as everyone knows her, is a 25 year old Biochemistry major. As a child her father would take her hunting a lot in the mountains. Growing up she became fond of fore, explosives and hunting. She loves to spend her time creating explosives, mainly firewoks due to legal issues, and hunting traps. Her extensive knowledge in chemistry and biology helps her to understand her target and various ways to take them down. She’s usually a scatterbrain, but when she’s making traps she is so focused it is hard to get her to snap out of her daze like state. Despite her rambunctious and wild outer side, she also has a big maternal instinct, she is always putting others needs in front of her own.

“So Clint said Shark is built for speed and precision huh?” Alex mumbled to herself. “Then he could be useful in helping with setting traps. That is if they let me. I think I should ask. Hehehe working with fire and explosives. Then again, those might be too loud. Darn why must everything fun always have a drawback.” Lost in her thoughts Alex accidently dropped a metal sheet from a shelf; however, Shark swiftly stopped it before it landed and she didn’t even notice it fell. “He also said he has a water container. That’s pretty cool. I wonder how time it took to fit that it. Well, there is still more to learn. Right Shark!” She continued as she turned towards him while he still held the metal plate. He looked up and smiled warmly as he set the sheet gently down making sure not to make much noise.

Lily and Ever searched the bed rooms. Lily, born Lilith Joy Owens, is 26 and has been a bookworm ever since she was young enough to read. Growing up she moved around a lot, and found it hard to keep friends, so she found refuge in books. Over her years she became a great scholar and became part of the SD Forensics Department. There she likes to spend her time in doors studying rather than go out and do work. She particularly likes to learn more about things in nature rather than technological processes. She also likes to surround herself in nature when feeling stressed, but cannot be without at least one book. She has always been a shy reserved person; however, even though she may look weak, she can take care of herself.

“I’m sure I can find something interesting to read around here,” Lily said turning to Ever and inspecting him carefully. “I also got to get to know you. So what do you like?” She asked him. It just smiled and shrugged its shoulders signifying it didn’t matter as long as she was happy. “Wow, you’re too modest, and humble. You’re like a knight in, uh, green armor.” They both chuckled at that. “So Clint said you were built to take hits, and give them. Huh. You really are a knight. With a big shield, but no lance or sword. I guess your arms are large too. He also said something about expanding your shell?” Ever nodded, “I guess we’ll just have to test that some other time. Come one let’s keep searching” To witch Ever and Lily kept searching rooms.

“In the end the four of us found assorted canned foods, some wires and a metal sheet, some clothes, a case of ammunition but no gun, and Lily, you found yourself a sociology book. No survivors were found. In fact, no bodies here there either. It looks like most people already fled this area.” Alex said as they packed most of the stuff in their packs and handed Ever the sheet to carry. “Well let’s head back to the base seeing as how there isn’t much here anymore.” Alex continued closing the door.