Chapter 33 - Gimme A Time Machine

“What on earth happened to you?” Chris inquired as soon as I sat down beside him. I’ve been trying to hide myself from him, James, Denise and Daniel—not that he would care—so that they couldn’t badger me with annoying questions that I don’t have the energy to answer.

“Nothing.” I spat out irritably. I immediately saw the hurt cross Chris’s face so I sighed. “Sorry. I just lack some sleep.” I said again.

“Why?”

I tensed. What was I supposed to say? I can’t exactly tell him why. “I’ve been battling dragons and keeping the world you live in safe. You can thank me later.” I said with a forced small grin. He rolled his eyes at me telling me he believed me. Okay, maybe not, but I’d like to think so.

“Whatever, Cal. You can tell me whenever you want to, ‘kay?” He said with a friendly smile. I smiled back and hugged him lightly. He squeezed me back, but it wasn’t lightly. He managed to knock the breath out of me so I hit him on the back forcefully making him laugh boisterously.

Pulling back to glare at him, I stopped when I noticed a certain someone glaring at me and Chris. I was suddenly filled with some delight when I saw that he didn’t look as bad as he did in the past few days, granted, that he still had some bags, but still.

I tried offering him a small smile, but the smile on my face faltered when Jenny entered the room and latched onto Daniel’s arm with a sneer directed at me.

Chris must have sensed my discomfort because he squeezed my hand reassuringly. I, however, still stared at the couple—is that what they are now?—walking towards the seats next to mine which by some cruel stroke of luck, happened to be the only ones free.

Daniel’s glare flittered down to our adjoined hands, but as soon as it did, the glare turned to another one of his emotionless stares. He allowed himself to be led by Jenny who took the seat next to mine and he took the seat next to hers. Oh wow. I must stink. I vaguely remember showering this morning, but I can’t be sure.

To add some more doubt inside of me about my showering, Jenny placed her chair as far towards me and as near to Daniel as possible. I don’t know if she wanted to get away from my stench or get close to Daniel’s intoxicating scent—wait, did I just say that?—or was it both?

I did my best. But I guess my best wasn’t good enough. Because I still didn’t hear a word the teacher said about viruses. What I did hear was Jenny and Daniel’s constant flirting, but I somehow sensed Daniel wasn’t that into it. Or was it just my wishful thinking, I don’t know.

Oh wow. I sure have a lot of questions today. I’m giving me a headache. Shut up, me.

Thankfully, I didn’t have Jenny nor Daniel in my next class. I don’t think I could’ve handled any more of their torture. Not that they knew I was being tortured, but still. It affected me nonetheless.

“Hey.” I greeted James as I sat next to him. Since we’ve made up now, I decided to sit with my friends throughout the day seen as I spent most of the last few days with Norby.