Love Finds You - Part 15

Chapter 15

           It seemed unreal that her conversation with Zack had only been twenty-four hours earlier. It seemed like a lifetime ago. Ohio seemed like a distant, yet painful memory. No one knew she was back in New York. Well, Aunt Gabby probably did by now but other than that, Jen hadn't told anyone. She needed to get back and have a few moments of peace before Roger came bursting in like she knew he would, raging about how she had single-handedly destroyed the firm. She didn't know how she would handle that right now, especially not from him. She was furious at him for putting her in the situation in the first place.

She reached her apartment, dropped her luggage in the entry, and moved to the window seat in her living room that overlooked the city. Her phone rang on coffee table in front of her; she didn't move to pick it up. Her eyes moved to the screen; Aunt Gabby was calling. Jen ignored it and chose to look out the window instead. It wasn't long before the ringing stopped and she was left in silence once more, alone with her thoughts.

OHIO

"Aunt Gabby! Aunt Gabby!" Zack ran through the house.

"I'm right here." Aunt Gabby walked in from the back porch.

"What's the big emergency?" Zack asked, slightly out of breath.

"Jennifer is gone," Aunt Gabby stated with a furrowed brow.

Zack took a deep breath and blew it out. "So, she went back?"

"Back to New York! Without a word! I tried to call her at least ten times but she won't pick up. She's just gone. All she left was this letter filled with ridiculous nonsense!" Aunt Gabby was clearly upset.

Zack put his arm on her shoulder. "Aunt G, I'm sorry she didn't tell you in person. She should have at least done that before she left."

"She shouldn't have gone at all!" Aunt Gabby said loudly as if Zack was hard of hearing. "I don't know why she felt like she had to up and disappear without even talking to me."

"She felt guilty," Zack shrugged.

"Guilty for what?" Aunt Gabby demanded.

"What do you mean for what? Didn't you read the letter?"

"Of course, I read it." She held it up. "I just don't see what all the fuss is about."

Zack took the letter and read it quickly before giving it back to her.

"You need to go after her, tell her to come back," Aunt Gabby said, pointing her finger at his chest.

Zack let out a sarcastic laugh. "I'm not going after her! You read the letter; she came here to con you out of your hard-earned money. She is a lawyer through and through. Nothing but greedy, shrewd, selfish..." before he could finish Aunt Gabby's hand flew across his cheek. Zack sat stunned, his mouth hanging open, unable to say anything.

"Now you listen to me," Aunt Gabby said sternly, her blue eyes fierce. "That girl has grown up in the heart of New York City, with a manipulative father, surrounded by adults who cared for nothing but business. She hasn't had the upbringing that you have. She didn't have a mother that taught her things like your mother taught you. I know Roger, he's my little brother and believe me, for all his skills with business and money, he's not the most loving parent. So instead of judging her, you should be trying to understand what kind of position she was put in. What she must have been going through trying to decide between two loves. Trying to decide who to hurt."

Zack just stared at her.

"You need to stop thinking you're the victim and get your fanny to New York and get her," Aunt Gabby told him. She stared him straight in the face and Zack marveled at her vibrancy and strength.