2: Out of Tune [sample]

Out of Tune has been released today (3rd July) with Random House UK as the third book in my three-book deal. I wrote Striking A Chord (already uploaded to Wattpad) as a prequel to this, exclusive to Wattpad, which you can also read in addition to this.

The paperback of this book is available now in the UK from bookstores and on Amazon (so those of you not able to get the paperback can get it shipped from Amazon), and the ebook should be available worldwide. Check the external link for my blog page to find where you can get it, if you're struggling to find it.

Hope you enjoy! xo

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two

No.

No way. No. No! I refuse. I am not doing this. No. She can’t make me.

I cross my arms and narrow my eyes at my mom to make my point. Not in a million years will I agree to this.

‘Oh, come on, Ashley. Do the poor kid a favor; it’ll be his first day at a new school, the least you can do is –’

‘No way! I’m sure he can handle himself. He’s not twelve.’

‘Did I ask you to be his new best friend? Look, I’m not saying you should walk him to all his classes and be –’

‘Mom. What part of “no” didn’t you understand? Was it the N or the O?’

Her retort to that is a cutting look, and she plants her hands on her hips. ‘Just give him a ride to school. That’s all I’m asking. Besides, he lives next door, it makes sense that you two carpool.’

‘I’m not driving to school tomorrow though, Josh is. I’m doing the kid a favor by not giving him a ride – he’ll only feel like a total third wheel.’

‘I’m sure Josh will understand.’

I snort cynically.

Mom’s voice then takes on a pleading tone – ‘I’ll give you gas money to fill up the tank if you take him to school. Just for this first week. Five days. Then he can make his own way there if you’re going to be so stupid as to insist on not carpooling.’

My ears have pricked up at hearing the first sentence. Gas money to fill the whole tank . . . And my fuel gauge is looking pretty low at the moment . . .

I am sorely tempted.

‘Maybe he doesn’t want a ride with me, did you think about that?’

‘Ask him, then, no harm in trying. If he says no, then you don’t have to drive him.’

‘Fine, fine,’ I sigh heavily, glaring still, but caving in at last. ‘But only – only – for the gas money.’

‘Sure,’ Mom agrees, trying hard not to laugh. ‘Not because under all that cynicism is a lovely girl, or anything.’

‘Exactly.’

She lets out a laugh then and shakes her head at me. I huff and stomp back up to my room, although by the time I slam my door shut, I only do it for the sake of it. The initial irritation has ebbed away and now I’m just dreading having to walk over later and speak to Todd.

The thing about houses on Maple Drive is that they are all pretty much identical in design, but someone thought it would be a nice idea to build them in sort of symmetrical pairs. My bedroom has a large window on the side of the house with a window seat (which is a feature I absolutely adore). And the house next door, which my bedroom faces has an identically constructed bedroom facing mine.