Leaving Home

LEAVING HOME 

ALEC

I sit on the window sill admiring the beautiful explosions of color off in the distance. I watch each explosion brighten and dim as I count the amount of deaths I have witnessed. I take out my notebook to scratch down  the colors I see. A color - a warrior - a race; dead.

I remember my Father writing down how the whole war came to be in his Journal, he was afraid. I can still feel it linger in the air, like a dark cloud that hangs over him and stalks him wherever he goes.   

Out of what I heard, the Magic War began three years ago. The numbers of the Magic Folk were decreasing at a fast pace until they fell into desperation. No longer having enough time to reproduce they began recruiting Humans, forcing them to choose to become Magic Folk; Warlocks, Witches and Wizards. The whole war began when the Magic Folk, evermore growing in numbers, became power hungry. They swore to protect the Humans from the clutches of the other races, lying and cheating to recruit them.

Another explosion boomed, this one had been a half - blood; a column of spiraling black and white dust shot out into the dark sky and the world appeared to have fallen silent. The entire battleground seems to be paying its respects, but not for long. The clanging continues and columns of colorful smoke and dust continue to rise into the night. I do wonder about the people that die at war. Tomorrow a list with the names of the deceased will be posted in the Town Square and in the newspapers. Some families will rejoice as their loved ones live to fight another day, others will lock their doors and weep for their relatives, sending their children across the portal into KILLIUS; the Black Land. I do wonder how it is in the land of no Magic, must be peaceful. Even though getting away from this war would be a top priority for most, I love ELQUIEM with all of its flaws. I will do anything to make it perfect, even if it means wiping out every damned Warlock, Witch and Wizard. I will complete my father’s dream.   

†  †  † 

I came downstairs to find my mother, perfect as ever without a hair out of place. She sat in her chair impatiently waiting for the news boy to bring the daily papers. I joined her as the doorbell rang and she rushed to get the door. I waited for her to return back to her seat to announce that my father was fine, but she never came back to rejoin me. I turned to see her crumple to her knees, hands covering her face, and immediately I knew my world was gone, crushed like an insect. My father was dead. DEAD. I turned back, away from my weeping mother, shocked, I waiting for the tears to come streaming down my face, but I had lost all sensation in my body. I couldn’t even hear my mother’s sobs. Just the ringing in my ears as my mind kept repeating. He’s Gone, He’s Gone, He’s Gone.

"No… No…! NO!" I screeched as our assistants attended to every door and window throughout the building. Sealing them shut. All I could do was sit there, as my nails tore at my face trying to wake me up from this nightmare. Wake up… Wake up! I howled inside. But nothing worked, I knew this was my reality.

I sat there for the next few hours watching the assistants running through the house, packing anything they thought I would need for my trip. I knew exactly where I was going. Just yesterday I told myself that  ELQUIEM was my home, and that I was going to protect it. But now it seemed like a worthless piece of land torn by Magic and the lust for Power. That Lust, killed my father. I want to leave the Land of Magic. Give it up forever and leave behind these aching memories. And my wish is about to come true.

I’m leaving towards KILLIUS,

And I’m never coming back.

.

†  †  †  †  †  

If you have any comments on how I can improve, I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks for the read