The Part Where I Run Into a Convict, Literally

****A/N IMPORTANT: last chapter was in Ember's point of view, which is the main character of this story. But often, I will be doing Shade's point of view, the other main character. So please don't be confused. Enjoy(:****

(SHADE POV)

I hate shifts at Konar more than anything in the world, but I do as I'm told... even though I once was a kid at Konar, a long, long time ago.

Konar is a place where they keep children of the Lucins, a rebel force against the government. Well, the ones they know about. It has about a hundred kids in it currently. Supposedly, they do it for "the safety" of those children, because apparently everyone is going to sharpen their pitchforks at a bunch of ignorant adolescents. Most of them didn't even have a clue what their parents had been doing. And yet there they were, locked up in Konar for their "protection." In reality, the only thing they need to be protected from is the Konies. You can see why I'm hesitant in following orders to help with cause.

It was a last minute thing, Konies don't want Faults like me around their territory often, but they needed someone to take the grounds job for tonight. Thankfully, I don't have to be in the buildings much. I patrol around them, making sure there's no foul play going on, make sure the gate is properly voltaged up, ready to fry anyone alive who dare touch it, that sort of thing. It makes me sick.

And to make things worse, I have the night shift.

They always give Faults night shift, since we don't need much sleep. Plus, we see much better in the dark than any human or Charmer. But being here creeps me out, as much as I'm unwilling to tell that to Anna or any other of the high ranking officers that oversee me. It gives me chills. Makes me feel like I'm always being watched... Probably because I spent a few months here... Worst two months of my life.

Luckily, the Faults found me and I was dragged into training school, which is where most Faults go from the moment they're discovered. We train for the rest of our lives to be warriors, soldiers... obedient and willing to do whatever we're told by a higher ranking authority figure.. hence the reason I'm here.

"Well, well if it isn't Shade Cole," Maxwell announces in his nasally voice. I can't tell if he's sneering or he has something on his lip. Maxwell is head of security and a very powerful Charmer, which is the only reason he's in charge. Thin, oily, and the muscles of an eight year old girl doesn't really intimidate anyone. But Maxwell's got magic locked around these grounds like you wouldn't believe. Did I mention he hates me?

"Maxwell," I nod to acknowledge him respectfully, and then quickly look around the room, trying to find an escape.

"I seem to remember a certain Shade Cole around here maybe, what, six years ago? Seven?" He shrugs, feigning ignorance. You know exactly who I am, I think. Maxwell and I had some... issues. Back then, I wasn't so managable. In control of my emotions. Back then, I had no training.

"You're the Fault they sent for grounds patrol, eh? Funny. Tonight, security is having a staff meeting. We don't really need any Faults hanging around. Go make yourself useful and just keep an eye on the outside tonight. You can handle that, can't you?" He says all this in a way that he thinks makes him seem superior, untouchable. I can barely hold back a snort. He's what, 5'7"? I tower over him at 6'2" and I probably weigh twice as much as he does. Charmers' magic doesn't usually work well on Faults; I could break him in half like a toothpick before he could utter a single word, let alone a full enchantment. I'm trained for it. I'd like to see him talk down to me again... my jaw tenses.

Instead I say, "Yes sir," even though I want to vomit on my own words, and then I leave without another sound.

This is going to be a long night.