Chapter 7 - Trouble

Grant Gable. The name rang a distant bell in the back of my mind.

I gave him a quick smile back, and outstretched my hand politely. "I'm Tessa O'Brien. And this is Stella." I looked down at her to find her staring up at him. Her eyes were speculative and calm.

He took my extended hand, his hold warm and firm. He had no problem with staring at me, because he was doing just that. I fought the urge to squirm, and felt the telltale sign of heat rush to my cheeks.

"You're tall," Stella commented. I wanted to kiss the little redhead. I reclaimed my hand and slipped it over hers.

Grant chuckled, the sound husky, and he looked down at the child with humor. "Maybe you're short," he winked at her.

But I disagreed. He was definitely tall, standing at a little over six feet and towering over me a good half foot. He must have seemed like a giant to little Stella, but she was not the least bit scared of him. Instead, she narrowed her eyes and said, "I'm five," as a way of excuse.

This time he laughed, and I was the one to stare at him. "You'll catch up soon enough. You might even get taller than me."

Stella's eyes widened considerably. "No! That's too tall," she tugged on my arm, beckoning with her hand for me to come to her. I kneeled down beside her, fighting to keep a straight face.

Stella cupped my ear with her hands. "He's lying, right?" Her whispering was amusingly loud.

I smiled assuringly at her and gently played with a curl of her hair. My whisper was just as loud as hers when I spoke into her tiny ear, "Of course, sweetie. He's only joking." I could hear the man stifle a chuckle above us.

Stella contentedly looked at Grant with a smug face, as if saying, "I know you're a lying joker, big guy."

"Come on. Let's go inside, Stella." I rose to my feet, and looked at the man who's gaze I had pretended not to feel over me the entire time I had knelt beside Stella. "It was nice meeting you, neighbor. And welcome."

I was prevented from advancing any closer to the door when a familiar warmth circled over my arm; his hand. Something inside of me froze, and I jumped, turning to him as my pulse started to palpitate quickly at the base of my neck.

He must have seen something in my eyes, because he let go of me. I fought to still my breath.

"You coming?" Stella asked, tugging at my hand.

"Yeah, sweetie." I looked at him, and gave him a soft, reassuring smile. Don't worry. I'm okay. I know you're not a monster. You just scared the living crap out of me. I settled instead for, "Have a good day, Mr. Gable."

"Same. And it's Grant. Will I be seeing you around?" he asked, his voice pleasant. He seemed willing to forget my little scene, and grinned at me; a lopsided grin that showcased an impeccable set of white teeth. I was thankful for that, and found myself breathing again.

"Well, obviously. You live right across from me." I noticed the sarcasm in my voice, and chuckled bashfully.

He laughed. "That backfired on me, didn't it?"

I nodded.

His smile didn't waver. "See you soon, Tessa. And you, Stella." He didn't look away, not as I tried to handle the shopping bags while looking for the keys in my satchel. The whole thing seemed to be taking much too long, and I inwardly cursed the heavens for having let my key wander into the abyss of my bag.

He walked up to me, careful not to startle me again.

"Let me hold your bags," he said. I looked up to see him standing close. Too close.