Part IV

Warning: Mention of blood, a small amount if gayness

Varian tossed and turned in his sleeping bag, trying to fall asleep. Try as he might, his brain would not let him. He soon gave up trying, just lying there, hearing his mom's gentle snores next to him. It had been a few weeks since they had been reunited, and with her and Rapunzel's optimism, the days seemed just that much brighter.

"Son."

He shot up. 'Dad?' he thought. But, that's impossible. His father's still in their home in Old Corona, trapped in amber. The voice certainly sounded like him, though.

"Mijo."

Another familiar voice. Mia. But, Mia was right next to him, sound asleep. He looked over to her to double check that he wasn't hearing things.

"Love."

One more, belonging to Altair, when he was being so annoyingly cute and calling him pet names that made him blush a shade of red that he wasn't aware existed. However, like Mia, Altair was sound asleep in his tent.

"Come on, Varian!"

The alchemist scrambled out of bed, careful not to wake the woman next to him. Magic, for that's what it must be called, seemed to have overcome the campsite. Varian knew that magic existed and was real, Mia was living proof of that, but he prefered the scientific approach to things.

He saw himself as a toddler, dancing with his mother and father, Mia playing music on her guitar that was a gift from her uncle, laughing all the way. Varian smiled at the happy memory, for he knew that's what it was. Memories of the best times in his life.

That scene flew away in the non-existent wind. Next, he saw his father walking him to his first day of school. They were heading into the forest. Varian didn't hesitate to follow.

The next scene was of the first time Varian had called Mia 'Momma.' Some kids at school were picking on him, and his dad was just telling him about the surprise visit from Mia when she walked through the door. Varian raced to greet her, tears still in his eyes. Mia asked Quirin what happened. After he explained, Mia put a hand on her chin and thought for a moment. "Well, how about we bake your favorite chocolate chip cookies to cheer you up?" she suggested. "While they're baking, we can pretend your a superhero who uses alchemy to protect people!" she said, picking him up and holding him like he's flying. Once both of his feet touched the ground again, he hugged her. "Thanks, Momma." "Mia." he immediately corrected. Mia just snorted. "Varian, if you and your dad are okay with it, I would love to be your Mom." she told him, looking up at his dad, who nodded in thanks.

The next was of him and Mia. They were getting him ready for bed, singing their lullaby.

These scenes continued, barely lasting more than 30 seconds. As Varian followed these visions of sorts, he saw when he first met Altair (It was quite an awkward encounter to say the least), he saw the masquerade ball he and his friends attended when he first called Altair 'M'lord.' He saw quite a few adventures with his friends as well.

"Varian."

The voice was a woman's voice. Calm and poised. But where was it coming from?

"Varian, come."

He followed the voice deep into the forest, into a small and hidden meadow, where a single rock stood. It was like the black rocks they had following for months now, but it was glowing red and orange, like fire. "Varian, come closer."

"How-how do you know my name?" he asked, inching closer.

"I know many things about you, boy. I know you blame yourself for your father's condition. I know your joy for reuniting with your mother, and I know of your feelings for the young noble from another kingdom, Altair. I can help you. I can give you answers. All you have to do is touch the rock."

Varian reached for the rock, but took his hand back. "Answers to what?"

"Answers to the black rocks that you and your friends have been following for months. Answers to where your real mother went, answers to what really happened the night Mia disappeared. Answers to free your father."

Varian perked up at the last one. "Ah! I've got your attention now, haven't I? Just touch the rock, Varian. Then all your problems will be solved." the voice was soft and comforting, almost like a spell.

As Varian reached for the rock again, the mysterious voice continuing to encourage him, another set of voices broke the silence of the meadow. Before Varian could blink, the meadow, rock and voice vanished. He was now in a clearing he's never been in before.

"Varian!" He turned and was brought into a hug by his mom. "Thank goodness you're alright." she said, wrapping her arms around him tighter, putting a hand in his hair. "Yeah, I'm okay, Mom." he replied, putting his arms around her back. "Good." she replied.

She broke the hug. "¡¿Que estabas pensando?!" she scolded him. "You know better than to leave like that, especially this early in the morning!"

Varian couldn't help but smile. "What? I'm being serious! Something could have happened." "I know, but are you sure you should talk?"

"Cass went with me incase I needed backup, and Punzie's waking everyone up in case we need help." she retaliated, raising an eyebrow. Varian rolled his eyes at her.

She sighed. "What are we gonna do with you?" she asked herself. "Come on, the others are waiting." she stood and started making their way back to camp, Cass at her side. "You'd think he'd know better after the Bear Incident when he was 5."

"Bear Incident? Oh, do tell." Cass said, interested. Mia laughed. "Well, Quirin, Varian and I were going camping for the night since it was such a nice night out, and we could have used a break."

As Mia continued her story, Varian felt a small sting on his right middle finger. He took off his glove to examine it, and saw a single drop of blood. The drop fell and splattered onto the ground. He hurriedly put his glove back on, as he hated the sight of blood when he started to feel dizzy. "M-Mom? I don't feel too good." he muttered before fainting onto the grass. Mia looked behind her and gasped. "Varian!" she exclaimed, running toward him, Cass not far behind her.

Mia took Varian in her arms, checking his neck for a pulse. She breathed out a sigh a relief when she felt one. "What happened?" Cass asked her, kneeling next to them. "I don't know! He just collapsed." "We should get him back to the others." Mia nodded and started following Cass back to camp, carrying Varian bridal style.

'Oh, Varian. Please be okay.' she hoped.