Untitled Part 1

Kalpana Chakravarty, specialist sales & marketing, years of experience 5.5 highlighted my appraisal letter which was the last document I had kept in my bag before leaving for the day from office (RD Internationals at Park Street).

I was thinking about the series of event I had gone through the day; cursing my cab driver for being unable to pick me up from office and the taxi's for being never available. The heated conversation between me and the client suppliers was also echoing in my mind. Cursing the hot and humid weather too before talking long leaps to avail the tram at around half a mile from my office.

I tried to stop thinking about the heavy dose of events throughout the day but it was yet another failed attempt. The 5 to 7 mins walkable route was always the most pleasant moment whenever I missed my office cab. Carpet of green grass laid over miles in every direction with the bowing down sun in utmost admiration. The race course horses, some galloping while other taking small steps; chirping of birds in rainbow colors.

In spite of all this there was something else which was haunting my mind today. It was my appraisal discussion with my boss. After sleepless nights of hard work I was asked to wait for another promotion cycle as I was not prepared for next level. It was earth shattering news for me as I had worked really hard for it. None of my explanation worked as she had objectified events like my unavailability during Puja vacation, frequent work from home and even coming few hours late to office on couple of occasions.

By now I had reached the tram stand. With these thoughts constantly growling in my mind I tried boarding the tram with a bag in one hand and purse in another hand, I felt a rough hard touch. A tall lean unshaved guy in his late 20's had elbowed me right at an impolite place and tried passing by recklessly in an attempt to board the tram. He didn't bother to apologies, or even express sorry in his body language. From his personality it was evident that he stayed at the densely populated Kidderpore region, a race of people where respect to individuals was not practiced. His origin of residence didn't have an impact on my response as I felt publically molested and humiliated.

I protested naturally with mouthful of slangs "You bloody hooligan, son of a bitch, garbage born bastard".

He stopped turned around and said "excuse me... what?"

I screamed "I know your entire race, you'll are born in a gutter and live like a rodent, Bastards".

He gave me a stare with a mimic in his eyes and responded "Do you want to Arm Wrestle".

I was like "What the F..."!!

The conductor intervened to pacify the situation he murmured "kotha shesh korun" (don't exaggerate the matter).

I still could not digest the fact about what he had done to me, felt like scratching him on his face out of extreme exasperation or bang his head on the wall. In between he turned his gaze and sat on the nearest available seat. Due to the unavailability of the ladies seat I sat at single seat ahead to his left. I was still fuming inside and forced hard to resist on slapping him and further humiliating him.

The conductor came for the ticket; he showed some gesture for which he was not asked for the ticket again. I understood he simply threatened the conductor to buzz off or else he'll pull him down at Kidderpore. This is a common scenario, I had read at a news article recently and now was personally witnessing it wherein these local guys board buses & trams from Maidan stop and consider it as their father's fortune. If ever any conductor protested they hit back in groups or if alone, pull the conductor down at kidderpore stop where other guys and localites join in to beat up the poor guy.