Chapter Eleven

How the Light We Had Went Bad

☆ ☆ ☆

IMPORTANT: PTSD Warning
This short chapter can be skipped.
I love you.

☆ ☆ ☆

☆ ☆ ☆

"What is this?"

Scorpius bolts upright in his bed. He had fallen asleep atop the duvet—his boots still tied—catching up on sleep that he'd lost because his thoughts could not be bothered to leave him alone the last few days. His grandfather Lucius has awoken him from a deep slumber. It takes him a moment to process where he is, or how much time has passed.

His grandfather stands beside him at his full height, a completely calm expression on his face. Only in his late sixties, he looks as spry as a young man—if he has it his way, Lucius will look mortality in the eye and dare it to end him. There's the folded up newspaper from London in his grandfather's white-knuckled fist. The Muggle girl's number is clearly displayed, and as realization sinks in Scorpius feels his face drain of color. His lips, cold, press together tightly.

Slowly and calculating, Lucius begins to furl the newspaper into a tight roll. Scorpius holds his breath, watching his grandfather closely and considering the fact that he should run. But he's frozen to the spot. Shame and dread itches the blood in his veins.

"What is it!"

Lucius smacks Scorpius hard across the face with the rolled newspaper. He scrambles from his bed, holding his cheek and feeling the stinging heat warm his palm. He's too shocked to say a word, or even make a sound.

"Do not make me ask you again."

"It was just some girl," he says, a tremble in his voice.

"What?"

Scorpius clenches his jaw and lowers his hand. He musters up courage and repeats clearly, "I said, it was just some girl."

His grandfather pursues him deeper into his bedroom, and he finds that he retreats. This humiliates him. Yet, he can't help but think he's nine, ten, eleven years old again . . . Hiding from Lucius's words. Hiding from his fist. Hiding from his belt. When his back presses up against a wall, he cowers and turns his face. A wallop falls heavily on the side of his head and knocks him off his feet. Scorpius starts to drag himself across the floor, trying to get his bearings. He's determined to keep moving, and eventually, like always, this will pass. His hearing is muffled and a loud ringing bounces around in his head. Lucius has ruptured an eardrum.