Chapter 1

I ran as fast as I could, pushing branches out of my way, and tripping over tree roots. To afraid to look behind me, I was covered in dirt and sweat and I could hear the creature catching up to me, and then the unexpected happened.

48 HOURS EARLIER-

"Mom, I'm heading out!" I called from the front door.

"Amy, wait." My mom walked over to me and handed me my phone. "I hope your not going to see that strange friend of yours, I don't trust him."

"Don't judge." My mom gave me 'the look' and I rolled my eyes. "I'm not." I walked out the door and hopped into my car. Of course I was lying when I said I wasn't going to visit my friend, my mom would have worried to much if I hadn't. I don't understand why she doesn't trust him, he's a total sweetheart. My name is Amelia Richardson by the way, Amy for short. I'm 17, I love music, and I love nature to the moon and back. Call me a hippie of you like. I'm an only child and I don't have a dad, but you don't need to know my life story. Anyway, on my way to my friend's house I stopped to get two coffees and some donuts. When I arrived at the old cabin and walked inside.

"Alex, you here?" I shouted, I walked in and placed the food on Alex's counter. I heard creek coming from the living room.

"Hello, Alex?" No answer. I sighed and walked into living room. I scanned the room and found nothing. I heard loud breathing coming from behind me, and I rolled my eyes. "Hi Alex." I said without turning around.

"Hey." Alex said laughing. I turned around and saw Alex standing behind me. We quickly hugged each other and walked into the kitchen. Alex is 18, he's tall and has short brown hair. He doesn't talk to anybody, unless they are really close to him like me, so he gets judged by most people.

"I got some coffees and donuts for us." I handed Alex his stuff and he smiled well licking his lips, obviously he was hungry. I laughed and sipped my coffee.

"Thanks, but you didn't have to do that."

"I think I did." I took of my leather jacket off, placed it on the counter, and walked outside, Alex followed me out and we sat down on his lounge chairs. "So, how are you? It's been a while, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too. I haven't really done anything since we've last met, I cleaned up a little. Tried fixing my dad's old truck."

"Really, good for you." I took another sip of coffee and smiled at Alex. He smiled back and took my hand in his.

"Oh, I have something for you." Alex said well standing up and walking into the cabin. A few minutes later he came back out with something in his hands. He sat back down and handed it over to me. It was a mini wood statue of a tree.

"What's this for?" I said while taking the piece of art into my hands. I was beautifully crafted and must have taken quit a while to do.

"Just my way of saying thank you."

"Well, it's absolutely beautiful, thank you." I placed the gift into my bag and gave Alex a quick hug.

We sat outside and talked for hours. In the middle of our conversation my phone rang.

"Hello?" I said, answering my phone. "Hi mom, yeah I'm fine. No I'm not at his house." I grabbed Alex's hand again. "Ok, calm down, I'm coming back. Yeah, ok, bye." I said cutting off my mom in the middle of a sentence.

"She doesn't know you're her, does she?"

"Not exactly." I said while getting up to get my jacket. Alex rolled his eyes and handed me keys. "Thanks." We walked out to my car and hugged goodbye. When I left the old cabin Alex had already gone inside. I took out my phone and texted my mom, telling her I was on my way.

When I arrived at my house my mom was standing outside and her pajamas.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I said running up to my mom.

"What took you so long?"

"What do you mean, you called me like twenty minutes ago."

"No, I texted you an hour ago." My mom and I walked inside.

"Really?"

"Really."My mom handed me her phone.

The phone said that the text had been sent and hour ago and pressed my lips together. "Something must be wrong with my phone, I'll see how it is tomorrow, and if it still isn't working I'll go get it checked. No big deal." I handed my mom her phone back and walked up to my room. I knew nothing was wrong with my phone, the only reason I was getting messages late was because Alex's cabin is in the woods so nothing comes in right away. But I couldn't tell her that.

I took a quick shower, put my pajamas on, and hopped into bed. Within ten minutes, or so, I was fast asleep