PART 37: YUSUF REVEALS HIS IDENTITY TO BROTHERS [Surah Yusuf 12: 88-91]

88. So when they entered upon him, they said “O Aziz, we and our family have been touched by hardship, and we have brought worthless merchandise, so give us the full measure and be charitable to us, surely Allah loves those who charitable”.

89. He said “Do you know what you did with Yusuf and his brother when you were among the ignorant”.

90. They said “Are you indeed Yusuf”. He said “I am Yusuf and this is my brother, Allah has indeed been gracious to us. Surely whoever has Taqwa and has Sabr, then surely Allah will never waste the reward of those who have Ihsan”.

91. They said “By Allah, surely Allah has preferred you over us, and we have surely been sinners”.

With this ayah, Allah begins the final chapter in this beautiful story. So at the request of their father these nine brothers travel to Egypt. Along with the tenth one who remained in Egypt they enter upon Yusuf (AS) and tells him that they and their family have been touched by hardship. These brothers have no more merchandise which they can trade with. So all they brought was worthless merchandise. Things that have no value whatsoever. They did not want to come empty-handed so they came with junk. They ask Yusuf (AS) to be charitable towards them because surely Allah (swt) rewards those who give in charity.

Yusuf (AS) finally reveals his identity to his brothers. Why is he revealing himself at this stage in the story?  Why so late, and why not before?  It's because Allah told him that it's time to reveal your identity. Some books of tafsir mention that spoke to them in their own language instead of speaking in the Egyptian language. 

When he did this, for the first time, it clicked because nobody in the world other than Yusuf and the brothers knew what they did to Yusuf.  For him to ask the blunt question “Do you remember what you did to Yusuf?”, there is only one person other than those ten who would know that, and that is Yusuf himself.  Nobody else in the world – not even Binyamin - would know what they did to Yusuf, so by asking the question in their language, it is clear now.  The age would match, and the characteristics would match.

These brothers could not believe their eyes that this powerful minister whom they saw in front of themselves at that moment was their brother Yusuf (AS). Their brother who was so weak. Their brother who so helpless. Their brother who they once had complete power over. They could never believe that this man was he. They ask with shock and amazement as to whether he truly is Yusuf (AS). This reminds us once again how Allah changes the fortunes of people. This reminds us how we can never give up on our Lord. So no matter how desperate a situation that you are in, you should always have great hope in Allah (swt).

Also, notice the choice of words that Yusuf (AS) uses. Notice the contrast between the word “know” and the word “ignorant”. It is as if Yusuf (AS) is asking them “Do you know now what you did when you were then ignorant”. The language does not in any way give the meaning that Yusuf (AS) is blaming them. On the contrary, he acknowledges that this was something that they did when they were ignorant. When they were different. When they did not know. Even before Yusuf moves on, in the very first sentence he opens up the excuse for them.  In the very first phrase, he allows some laxity and leeway.

He said, “I am Yusuf, and this is my brother.”  He called Binyamin to come out at that time, which means he was hiding behind the curtains in the other room and when this conversation takes place, he calls Binyamin. Immediately after revealing his identity Yusuf (AS) attributed all the good that had come to him as being from his Lord. Allah had taken Yusuf (AS) from the lowest of the low to the highest of the high.

In this ayah, we are reminded why. We are reminded of what exactly Yusuf (AS) did to earn this high station. These brothers can see now how the situation of Yusuf (AS) has changed. When they last saw him, he was a helpless boy at the bottom of a deep well. Now they saw him as the Finance Minister of Egypt. The one who controlled their fate and that of their families. How was it that Yusuf ’s situation had changed so? What was the cause of this reversal of fortunes? It was only Allah (swt). Yusuf (AS) reminds his brothers here that Allah is the sole reason why he was where he was. All that they saw before them was from the favors and bounties of Allah. Even the very word that Allah uses here to refer to the gift that He (swt) has given to Yusuf (AS) has the meaning of a gift with which a difficulty is relieved. Such was the nature of the gift that Allah gave to Yusuf (AS). He (swt) relieved him of all of his troubles and took him to a state where he was truly content.

The brothers could also see the miserable situation that they were in. Why then did Allah honor and raise Yusuf (AS) in status? What did he do that they did not? The answer to that question quite simply it was because Yusuf (AS) was among those who have Ihsan. He was among those who always thought of Allah and helped people. And because of this Ihsan, he was able to have both Taqwa and Sabr. When times were good, when pleasures and temptations presented themselves before him, his consciousness of Allah allowed him to be obedient to the Law of his Lord. Similarly, when times were hard when trials and difficulties befell him, his patience allowed him to bear them without anxiety or fear. So the Ihsan of Yusuf (AS) allowed him to have Taqwa and Sabr. He remembered Allah all of the time. This constant remembrance of his Lord was why he was rewarded.

Now the brothers came to a realization of the true reality. Now they finally realized Allah. They saw now how they had been blinded by the life of this world and by their desires. Blinded from perceiving Him (swt). Blinded from knowing Him (swt). They finally acknowledge that Allah has indeed preferred Yusuf (AS) over themselves. They can see now everything that Yusuf (AS) has been given. Not only the position that he had been given in Egypt but even how he had been saved from the well. Then they compare what Yusuf (AS) had been given to what they had been given. They compare all of these favors and gifts to the pestilence and famine that they had to endure. Just as they saw where their brother had ended up they also saw their own miserable situation. Thus they realized how not only had Allah favored Yusuf (AS) greatly but how He (swt) had also preferred him over them.

They pay to him the highest compliment that any one human being can give to another, they acknowledge that he had been chosen by Allah.

LESSONS

1. Allah will never allow your reward to go to waste if you constantly strive to remember Allah (swt) at every moment.

2. The only deeds that Allah will accept are those that are done sincerely for Him (swt). Not just the effort that you make to perform the deed but also the effort that you make to remember Allah. This is what Allah loves to see. This is what He (swt) will reward generously.

3. The key to success both in this life and the next is in the remembrance of Allah. Not just remembering Allah at the time of Salah but remembering Him (swt) at every moment.

4. When we bring Allah into our lives then Insha Allah this will help to remove the animosity and the ill-feelings that we have towards others. Why should you hate anyone when you live for Allah? Why should you have jealousy for anyone when all that you care for is your Lord? If we would only remember how Allah should be the purpose of our lives then we would see how nothing else matters except He (swt).

5. This is the universal and timeless truth that all Muslims need to be so badly aware of, yet are not- this truth is that Allah will always prefer the 'Muhsinun' to the evildoers. So don't despair, and don't be one of the many Muslims who stop practicing Islam because they think that Islam will make them unsuccessful in this life. As we are coming close to concluding the story, I hope you do realize that those who keep their faith in Allah will always succeed in the end.