Chapter 3: Then Tragedy Hit

"Hey lame-o" seth joked.

"Hi."

"I haven't seen you in a while."

"We talked last night on NoodleChat." 

"You my friend are such a millennial, you do know that doesn't equal actual conversation."

"Okay, okay, geez you wanna hang out tonight?"

"Sure!" 

We sat down in homeroom and then the teacher made the announcement.

 "Good morning Students, I regret to inform you that last night there was a car accident and Bryce Sanders and Riley Jones were killed. Information on memorial services will be known shortly. The counseling department will be open to any students who are grieving and need to talk. Would anyone like to come forward and maybe shed some light on this tragedy."

The room was silent. Everyone knew Bryce and Riley. If you didn't you knew someone who knew them, they were popular. Lexi, one of the students raised her hand.

"I am sure the student body will mourn the loss of these two achieved athletes, they brought so many scouts to the school and sponsors too. It's unfortunate their legacy will not go--"

"Isn't it a little vain to be only acknowledging sports" said another classmate. 

"What should we acknowledge what they were really known for?" said a kid in the back.

"Students, students. This is not the time and place for this argument. Now if this discussion couldn't be constructive and positive I say we go on with our class plan now shall we."

Students groaned and I just couldn't handle the tension in the room. I was with Bryce just two days ago. We...he couldn't be gone. So I left class and went to the bathroom. I thought splashing water on my face would maybe wake me up, like this was a bad dream. Amidst all of it I barely noticed the girl running into the bathroom, and slamming the stall door. Seconds later I heard what sounded like a student being really sick. 

"Hey, are you okay? Would you like me to get a nurse?" I asked. 

"No, I'm fine thank you." 

"Water? I have some Motrin in my locker." 

She came out of the stall. Kat Lavoie. I didn't know her directly, but I knew of her. Honestly, I always admired her. With her long brown, curled hair and amazing style she just seemed so much cooler to me. The girl had a reputation though and I guess that always got the best of me. 

"No, thank you though." she said. 

"I heard there was a really bad stomach bug going around."

"Yeah a shit ton of Peptobismo is not going to fix this one."

"Oh."

"Guess the entire school is right." 

"I'm sorry?"

"Well thanks again for the offer, Cassie, right?"

"Yeah, no problem." 

She left the bathroom and as she left I kept trying to piece together what she was saying. Is she pregnant? Then my mind started to wander. Oh shit! My birth control. I have been totally neglecting it. I mean what's the chance. 

I leave the bathroom and bump into Seth. 

"Grabbed your bag."

"Thanks, I just wasn't feeling well." 

"Yeah, it's sad this whole stuff with Riley and Bryce."

"Did you know them?''

"I was in that math class with Riley, but I never talked to Bryce besides the party." 

And so the day continued like normal. Nothing earth shattering besides the buzz about the accident.