Chapter Three: How Will I Know?

I fall in love whenever we meet.... (: I love that song. Anyway, with this chapter I figured out that I really love having internal conversations.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You really have to use your arm muscles here," Will informed us, motioning to the large construction looming above our heads. We were gathered around the base of a rope climbing net about ten metres high, dangling between two wooden pillars. He was busy explaining the safety instructions and about how the harnesses and carabiners worked, holding up the unfamiliar pieces of equipment we would be using undoubtedly several more times.

"To make this a little more fun, we're going to time this; so whoever gets to the top in the least time will get a prize from me."

At this, the girls began to whisper excitedly, and one could only guess what they were thinking about. I tried desperately to block all mental images and finally succeeded, but not before I felt my ears get hot. These were the people I went to school with!

He broke into a pleased grin, meaning he probably thought it was the greatest idea in the world, and he was glad we thought so too. "Trust me, it's not as easy as it seems. Any volunteers for going first?"

Naturally, I raised my hand. Anything to do with climbing had always been a strength for me, and to be honest I had really only been anticipating this activity ever since he announced it.

My body tensed as his eyes fell on me for a brief second, before flickering away. Much to my dismay, his gaze landed on a pretty blonde in the back who looked bored out of her mind, and who definitely didn't have her hand up; unless I was really blind, like Abbey suggested.

"You! What's your name?" he demanded to the girl who looked halfway between embarrassed and shocked. The tone of his voice took me by surprise and I couldn't help but observe his facial expressions closely. With his strong build and height, he definitely looked the leadership type. This must have been the case; otherwise, how was it possible to sound both friendly and authoritative at the same time? I decided that this was a question I could ask Will later if he ever confessed his undying love for me; which was more than likely never.

"Charlotte."

"Come here, Charlotte. You're going first."

"But she put-" She was pointing at me frantically, her eyes pleading; before Will cut her off in a sharp voice.

"No buts. I picked you. Let's roll."

I felt the familiar annoyance bubbling at the pit of my stomach. He had reverted back to Jerk mode. There was seriously something wrong with the guy. I was the only volunteer; yet he wouldn't let me go first? I was certain he'd seen me, and even if he hadn't Charlotte had pointed at me. Maybe he was deliberately avoiding me. Judging from my awkwardness before, it seemed likely. I wasn't the best person to have around during team building activities. Most of the time, I assumed the role of the silent one who sat by and listened idly.

I turned to see Charlotte struggling up the net. She had both her feet pressed against the unstable rope rungs, with the net swinging violently in all directions. Will was standing by, feeding rope to her via his harness. He looked up at her encouragingly and with a genuine smile, he called out, "Good work, keep going!"

Stupid guy. Stupid guy with a beautiful smile.

Now that I was actually observing it, the net did look harder than I had first thought, particularly because it wasn't stationary and provided very little stability. It swayed from side to side, with hardly any chances to bring both hands and feet up another level.