Chapter Twenty Two

|| Chapter Twenty Two ||

The softness of my mattress didn't even register while I laid back on it, my mind was elsewhere as I continued my blank stare at the ceiling, the white paint as the background to my mind going anywhere else. Despite my wandering mind, my attention wasn't completely drawn away from the questions and cautious looks in my direction floating through the room.

"You don't have to answer. We can just change subjects..." Bunny trailed off as the played with the hem of her white blouse.

I may be off in a world far from here, but if there was one thing I learnt growing up as a Spawn, always have one foot in and out of the door. On the one hand, allow your mind to wander away from what is happening – find an escape, but on the other hand, or foot, be one hundred percent aware of your surroundings.

Sometimes having a split stance is the only thing keeping me sane.

"Good idea, I don't want her to get all worked up and then strangle two girls again." Mouse snickered slightly, it was obvious that the thought dawned on her that I had strangled two girls, one in each hand, and there were two girls – aside from me – in this room.

A relapse of events if I snap.

"Again?" Bunny shrieked in a whisper, well – a quieter whisper considering their already hushed tones, as if talking about it was the tick to the time bomb, the longer and louder they talked about it, the faster the seconds ticked away and the lesser time they have before the bomb goes off.

But I'm fine.

"Yeah, it was scary. But awesome in a strange sort of way." Mouse twirled a curl around her index finger in thought "She choked out Pearl and Honour in the hallway during lunch the other day... No one could do anything to stop her, I mean, she was seriously angry I thought that Pearl and Honour were goners!" Mouse replied.

Groaning aloud over their annoying whispers pulling both feet back into the one room, my mind no longer able to wander off as it was too invested into their conversation. "I'm right here, you do know that right?" I hiss snapping my head to the one side to look at both girls.

Nodding furiously the blonde and brunette had their hands up in the air in surrender, the light spark of fear registering in their eyes making me kind of upset.

They should be used to my outbursts by now... Why are they acting so... Timid?

"S-sorry." Bunny stuttered, stuttering is Mouse's thing... "We are just curious. Um-yeah."

Propping myself up on my elbow I watched them, I knew what made these girls tick and I knew all of the girl's tell signs, their lies – if told – were clear as day, just as their nervousness and readiness to pounce for the door at a moment's notice as if there were a deadly animal in front of them waiting to prey on its next meal.

"What is it you want to know exactly?" I sit upright, straightening my spine. My words coming out with a void of emotion. This was strictly business – sort of.

"We want to know everything." Bunny tried to sound confident but her tone wavered on her 'e's "From the start please."

Bunny nodded to affirm her so called confidence before Mouse's eyes and smile grew as she piped in her thoughts "Tell us everything, right from when you were a baby. I've always wondered what you were like as a kid. OH! Can we learn about your siblings too?"

I grew silent, blankly looking at the black screen of my television I tossed up whether to tell them or not. It was less than one week ago that I had bashed myself up over telling Stephanie Drew in my counselling sessions.