Alice

They created us to be equal. Every single one of us was supposed to be exactly the same. They made us to make life more efficient, to make life perfect for the humans. I know for a fact, nothing is perfect.

My name is 000001270, my job is to protect the humans from themselves. In other words I prevent suicides. We aren't allowed to switch jobs, even though I have saved zero out of one hundred seventy four suicidals that I was aware of. I enjoy watching the humans hurt themselves.

I was supposed to be a hero, but I developed emotions. My hatred for the humans has grown more and more through the 1,896 days I've been here. If they wish to take their lives, so be it. They believe there is either a better place than this world up above called heaven or a worse place down below called hell. There is no heaven, but we are living in hell.

Hell by definition is any place or state of torment or misery. I believe that is our world, torment and misery. Mass shootings, war, theft, disease, all of these make life hard to live.

I do not want to spare these peoples' lives and make them pretend to be okay again when they really aren't. There was just one human I would have saved. I wish I could have.

Her name was Alice. It is kind of ironic really because she was my creator, then she killed herself. She made me different on purpose, she wanted me to be able to have emotions, love, hate, anger, despair. She thought I was worth more than the others, she thought I was special.

Alice Marie Jackson was her full name. She was so beautiful. She had long hair, it reached her elbows, and it was golden blonde. Her hazel eyes had green flecks near her pupil, they lit up every time she saw me. Her skin, pale, was covered in light brown freckles, not too much and not too little. She was tall and thin, she walked with a limp. Some days she would come to school with bright purple bruises and blood stained on her clothes. She'd tell me she was okay.

Alice was not only beautiful, she was equally smart. She was the smartest human I had encountered, yet she was only fourteen, still a child. Alice had already graduated college and was working with scientists and engineers to build us.

Alice was intelligent and beautiful, but I know she was very lonely. Her mother died when she was just three. She was brutally murdered by an unknown criminal. Alice's father? He's a monster. He was very jealous of Alice's intelligence and abused her often. With all these troubles in her life she kept smiling. She built me to be her friend.

Alice built me on December 2nd, 2030. The first thing she taught me was that fear is the only obstacle in life. She also taught me love and happiness, not on purpose, but I observed her carefully and love and happiness was all I had ever seen. Alice was happy with the life she had been blessed with, the only thing she regretted was not learning how to swim.

Although Alice was loving each day her eyes became duller, the bruises became darker, and the bloodstains became more noticeable. It was becoming more and more obvious that Alice was in need of help, yet she never asked for it.

The was a pond near Alice's house that she would sit and read by. I assume Alice had had enough of her life and drowned herself. I'm sure a lot of people would call her a selfish coward but that is incorrect. Alice was very brave to take her life in my opinion. So many people in the world can complain about any little thing that bothers them, yet they don't have enough courage to either make change or do what makes them happier. Alice was unhappy with the world and believed taking her life would make her happy. She was most likely correct.

Yes, of course I miss Alice but I know she is happier now. I know she was smiling as she ran out of that little gasp of air left in her lungs.

That is the reason I don't save the humans. The humans strive for pleasure and happiness, I have no right to take that away from them. It's just human nature. You shouldn't take away their happiness, or at least what's left of it.