Chapter 1

*The picture above?( I think) is what I imagined Serena to look like. In the book she would have less makeup and curlier hair but ehh close enough.

Glass shattering, my sister screaming, metallic taste, and another sweaty night. I wake up almost every night like this sweating and sobbing until I can't breathe anymore. Luckily I have become dependent on myself, so I do know what to do when I can't stop the dreams. I pretend. I pretend that my sister and mom aren't dead. I pretend that my dad does understand the concept of loving his little girl. I pretend that I had a normal dream of monsters chasing me like I used to when I was a little girl. And I pretend I am a normal sixteen year old who can sleep every night without worrying if she is going to be able to sleep for the full eight to nine recommended hours of sleep. I look at the bright red flashing numbers on my clock and the time reads 3:23. Another three and a half hours until I have to officially start getting ready for school on this rainy Monday morning.

Unable to fall back asleep, I peel off my sticky covers and walk down to my kitchen. We've been living in this house for two years now after the fateful accident, and I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of the loneliness I feel in this house. After all having four bedrooms and three baths with only one person in the house most nights can do that to you. Only 150,000 dollars for the house my dad was bound to buy it with how much he works.

I take the k-cups out of the cupboard and make some coffee. I need as much caffeine as I can get if I want to stay awake and function properly at school. I also take out the Cinnamon Toast Crunch, my favorite cereal, and pour a heaping amount in a bowl. I go to my room and watch some TV until 7 o'clock rolls around. I get into the shower and 15 minutes later I come out in a towel. I hear my phone ringing and see the contact name as "Dad".

"Hey Dad," I sigh.

"Sorry Miss Ryder, It's Chance." He apologizes into the phone. Chance is my Dad's assistant. Of course my loving father would have his assistant call almost every other morning.

"Chance, how many times have I told you to call me Serena? Anyway, what's up?"

"Your Dad has told me to inform you that he will be going on a three day trip to China to consult with a client."

"Alright, Thanks. Bye Chance." I sigh deeply.

"Not a Problem Miss Ryder."

With news that I hear regularly, I pick up a pair of light washed shorts and a black off the shoulder sweatshirt with the words "In life, simple is best" written in white. I pull on my white converse and blow-dry my dark hair, having ringlets roll down my back stopping about 5 inches above my waist. Then, I brush my teeth and put a couple of coats of dark mascara on my lashes, making my bright blue eyes pop. I grab my book bag and another huge cup of coffee, and drive to school. I head to first period after getting all my books and wait to see what the day brings.

By third period I'm snoozing off. And by lunch I'm almost completely asleep. I decide to go to my car and take a nap instead of eating the cafeteria food. But before I even get a chance to throw my cafeteria lunch away, I bump in to Hayden West, Eastside's very own Bad Boy, dropping my lunch on the ground.

I gasp, "I'm so, so sorry!"

"What is your problem? I know I'm good looking, but why must you throw yourself on to me!" He spits out.

I glare at him," You little cocky as-," before I get to finish my remark the bell rings. So much for my afternoon nap.

Hayden only gives me a sarcastic smile and walks away. I don't even bother cleaning up the mess. I grab my things for 5th and 6th period which is the last of the day. Fifth period history was as boring as ever. I finally go to my last period class, English. I love this class. We don't really do much, and when we do we only have tiny 20 minute lessons.