Chapter One

A Week Later

"All I do at work is answer phone calls and plan meetings. Oh, and deal with people who won't let me get off work on time." I talked nonchalantly into the phone while driving home, the orange sun shining into my eye.

"At least you're getting money Kaylee." Cath, my best friend, laughed, "Meanwhile, I'm sitting on my couch being unproductive and watching Netflix for 14 hours straight."

"Uggghhhhh you don't understand!" I whined, "these people literally do not know how to do things on time. I thought YOU were bad at procrastinating."

"Um I think you mean I'm GOOD at procrastinating. Oh what high school has taught me!" 

I chuckled, "Okay girl. I gotta go, I'm home."

"See ya later!" She hung up.

I walked into the house, hearing the familiar bark of my adorable dog, Bella. She runs towards me, and I pet her lovingly on the head. "I'm home Bella!" I immediately opened my laptop and stared at my Facebook page. Relationship Status: Single.

Thanks for reminding me, Facebook. I thought sourly.

I shouldn't be surprised, right? When I first started dating Ricky at the beginning of senior year, I knew that we weren't going to last forever. Prom was fun, but the rest of the relationship was just mediocre. He was convinced that we were going to get married, despite the constant fighting, and I was not going to indulge his fantasies. I broke up with him at the beginning of the summer, and he turned bat shit crazy.

My phone buzzed -- Ricky is calling.

"Oh just leave me alone!" I groaned and buried my face into my palms. I really hope this isn't how the rest of the summer is going to go.