*Chapter Four*

It was raining as we crouched with silent trepidation under Great Oak Bridge later that night. The river was running fast and high no more than a few inches from our feet and I didn't know for certain whether I could even trust Loki to turn up with the horses – or at all.

                Dom, Adrian, and Ana were shuffling uncomfortably in the wet and cold, their butts planted on the wet bank of the river, while I sat a little ways away from them, staring contemplatively at the fast-moving water.

                The sky was getting darker and darker and the rain didn't seem to be thinking of letting up any time soon, but eventually I heard the unmistakable sound of hooves on concrete and before I could even stand up they were thundering across the wooden bridge above us.

                The others looked at me with widened eyes, and I put a finger to my lips warningly. Instantly, they fell silent.

                Quietly, I pressed myself against the bank and crawled out from under the bridge, listening carefully for any telltale signs of double-crossing. There didn't seem to be any voices, but I stiffened in fright when I heard somebody hissing, 'Nota?' I only relaxed marginally when I realised it was Loki.

                Straightening myself up to my full height, I climbed as gracefully as I could into sight, regarding Loki coldly. He had clearly just dismounted from the chestnut horse whose reigns he held, and three more stood nervously behind him; two dappled greys and a midnight black.

                He shuffled uncomfortably. 'I presumed your friends would be coming with us, but I couldn't manage to get one for everyone...'

                'What makes you think you'll be coming with us?' I asked, my voice sterile.

                Loki didn't so much as flinch. 'You're angry. I understand. But my not accompanying you isn't even an option. You'd die out there without me, and unless the humans have dumbed you down completely, you already know that.'

                I did know, but it aggravated me to give him the satisfaction. I stared expressionlessly at him for a moment before shrugging and turning back to jump down the bank and fetch the others.

                'Do you guys know how to horse-ride?' I asked wearily. If they couldn't it would only slow us down, and I couldn't afford to lag behind for anyone at this point. The reality of the situation was starting to settle cold and heavy in my bones now that I'd managed to escape the initial threat – the future of Elsewhere rested on me.

                Adrian nodded easily and Dom shrugged one shoulder; 'I did it on holidays a few times.' Ana didn't look so sure but it hardly mattered; we only had four horses anyway.

                'Two of you will have to ride double anyway; we only have four horses,' I explained, turning and gesturing them to follow me.

                'Why is he coming with us?' Dom demanded, once he noticed Loki wasn't going anywhere.

                I felt my jaw stiffen. 'Unfortunately, we need him,' I admitted.

                'To what? Kill you in your sleep?'

                I eyed Loki up and down warily. 'He's the only one who can really fight,' I muttered. 'I won't be able to hold my own if we're ambushed.'

                'Come on,' Loki interrupted, obviously tired of hearing his character being defamed – though it doesn't count as defamation if it's true. 'I've found an inn we can stay at safely for tonight.'