14.1 In the Temple of Falas

A young priest with golden hair shuffled down the hallway in white robes. There were no breaks for Litin’s order, not even for sleep. Most of the temple’s patrons would respect the time, but every now and again an emergency emerged that could not wait until morning. So, he had been summoned from the side of his beloved once again.

His heart sank. It had to be old Femen. It was a miracle the woman had survived this long despite her mind going and her constant pain. Litin’s one consolation was that this death came as no surprise. Still, he wouldn’t get back to bed, tonight.

Litin walked through the white hallways with a torch. The temple was pleasant, though not ornate. Stone statues of Falas sat the alcoves, all the work of a single, faithful sculptor. Litin had loved that old man. The brief twinge of grief passed. On Kanel, all fades.

A man cloaked in black waited in the chamber, his form clashing with the torch-lit surroundings. Perhaps this wasn’t about Femen.

“Hello, friend,” Litin said.

“Hello, old friend,” the figure replied, dropping his hood.

Litin could not speak for a moment. “You? Pe... What are you doing here?”

“Searching for a priest named Litin.”

Litin stepped forward to embrace him then stopped halfway. “Pelan, it has been twenty years. I never imagined... Shouldn’t you be in Maeva?”

Pelan had a sad look on his face. “Yes, I was. For a long time.”

Litin’s mind raced to the happy memories of their childhood, days spent playing in the city. His father, as well, had been a decorated commander, though not so regarded as Gero Tamoth. Yes, days long past.

“I’m just glad you’re still here,” Pelan said.

“It’s been so long! Are your parents well? And your priesthood?”

“Litin, fifteen years is too long. Are you married? Do you have children? What about your life?”

Litin nodded. “Yes, a beautiful woman. Kelalia. We—”

“Kelalia? You married Kelalia? How? Her parents would never let her to marry a follower of Falas, muchless a priest.”

Litin frowned. “It cost her dearly, same as my service has cost me. But we have two sons. You, my friend?”

“I had no need for a wife at the temple.”

“There’s something I’ve wanted to say for a long time,” Litin felt excited, but a barrier of pride still blocked him. The words stopped in his throat and he couldn’t speak.

“What?”

The air developed a certain, stale quality.

Finally, after a couple false starts, he forced his words out. “I’m sorry for breaking off our friendship. I was so immature! So obsessed with escaping Vorlo! I pushed so many away. You, my parents. I’m sorry.”

Pelan seemed surprised. “You pushed me away? I remember playing a part as well.”

“But I instigated it all. I called you evil; don’t you remember?”

“Ah yes, I remember that conversation. And what do you think, now?”

“I think that I should have handled the situation better.”

“You’re forgiven,” Pelan said. “I’ve had changes in my life lately, too.”

Litin could not speak for a moment. Tears formed behind his eyes, and he smiled a warm smile, one he’d gained over the years since his passionate youth.

“I’ve waited many years to hear that.” The fire crackled, but Pelan said nothing, so Litin spoke again. “I’m certain you came to Sigal for more than to make amends with me.”

“I did. Though I need your help.”

Litin listened for the next hour as his old friend explained about the spirit that came to him and about meeting Anoran. He listened about the dark object, the disaster at the temple, the flight from Maeva, the guards, the Chaban, and the attack of Vorlo’s hounds. He listened intently, surprised at every turn, surprised most of all by Pelan. He kept thinking about what to say when it was over, but he came up with nothing.

“I don’t think the temple knows yet that I helped Anoran to escape, but they must suspect something,” Pelan said. “I don’t know what will happen if they find me.”

“Let’s hope they don’t.”

“I can’t stop thinking about all this. And the more I do, the more I realize that I can’t continue as a priest of Vorlo.”

“Just a priest?”

“Not even a worshipper. Not after all this.” The two friends stared at the fire. “And I just keep asking myself: Have I spent my whole life serving a malicious god?”

“You sound like me,” Litin said. “Watch out: Those questions turned me into an apostate.”

“I know. But I’m no longer afraid of that. Being home is too bitter. My parents are exactly the same as I left them, blindly following those lies. ‘Vorlo gives prosperity and blessing.’ He sent monsters to kill us! They worry about me incurring his wrath, and I say, let him try. I’ve served his deception far too long. Even if my priestly spells are fading, I would not exchange what is right and good for any power.”

That startled Litin. “Your abilities are fading?”

“Yes, day by day.”

“I don’t know if I would be willing to sacrifice that. I’ve worked so long for those.”

“But the pain of losing my abilities or family aside, it all pales to the questions burning within me right now: What is real? Who are we and the Taner? What is Kanel?”

“Kanel: ‘The Great Story.’”

“A meaningless name. There’s no story happening, just powerful taking from the weak and the rich from the poor. That’s practically formal doctrine of Vorlo.”

“I’ve never understood the name myself,” Litin mused. “Perhaps ‘The Great Story’ is just a name someone gave this world in times and for reasons forgotten. Yet I’ve always wondered if an invisible story surrounds us we don’t understand. Still, I’ve yet to see any truth to that.”

“I had forgotten; I brought these for us,” Pelan said. From his cloak, he pulled two pipes. “They’re from Dad’s collection.”

Litin held out his hand in refusal, despite the tempting offer. “I can’t do that, not here in the temple, not as a priest. I have to be an upright influence to the faithful.”

The two stood outside on a second-floor balcony, wreathed in smoke. Litin savored the taste. “It’s been fifteen years.” It would probably be fifteen more, as well. He only hoped that the rest of the temple slept soundly. If Kelalia found out...

“A little like the old times, eh?” Pelan said.

“But with two completely different men.”

This was a pretty long section, so had to split it up. More of this conversation on Thursday!