Chapter Nine - Drinking

Belatedly, Eileen decided pretending not to care might not have been her best plan. Apparently she had too much anger stored up inside of her to get away with that.

Gray wouldn’t be happy. Her father wouldn’t be happy if he found out, either; Gray had tattled about her outbursts once, so he might do it again. Eileen pushed open the door to the guest room and groaned. Gray already thought she was a selfish brat, and now her dad would too.

She didn’t like the idea of that. Even though she hated this situation, she believed her father was trying to do what was best. He’d proved to be a fine Alpha thus far… and now she was a problem.

Shaking the thoughts away before they bogged her down, Eileen fished through her belongings. When she’d packed to come over here she’d stored her cell phone. Like most phones, its battery was crap: turning it on revealed the battery was already down a bar. Sighing, Eileen skimmed through some of the texts she’d gotten.

A few were from Burgundy. Now, that was surprising.

It seemed like slowly, everyone was turning against her, believing her to be difficult and bitchy. Eileen wondered if it was true. Was she “difficult” for not wanting to train with someone she’d previously had feelings for? No, she didn’t think so.

Hitting the green button, Eileen put the phone to her ear and waited impatiently. Gray wouldn’t be down for long; and when he got over whatever damage she’d dealt, he’d be pissed.

Wouldn’t it be something if she brought out his old anger habits?

After three rings Burgundy picked up. “Eel?” she asked with concern in her tone. “I haven’t heard from you in forever.”

“Yeah, some stuff kind of went down,” Eileen said, moving to the window and pushing aside the curtains. She couldn’t see Gray: he could be anywhere. “Listen, I’ve got some free time on my hands and really want to go somewhere. Want to hang out?”

“Uh, sure,” Burgundy said, surprised. “Where to?”

They agreed to meet at an all ages dance club just a ways down from the night club they liked to attend. Eileen was half-planning to sneak into the latter later, but it was too early now. Going through her closet quickly, she picked a short dress, simply so she could run.

When she looked acceptable enough, she left the house. Gray was still nowhere to be seen, and Eileen started into a jog. She went onto her property, dodging through the trees, and avoided the guards. They didn’t even know to look for her.

As time and pavement flashed by, Eileen pulled her phone out. First, she simply typed “Hey” to both of the twins.

Erase. Too casual.

Next, she tried, “What are you guys up to?”

Erase. It sounded so stupid: of course they were training, and of course they would know she wasn’t. So instead she settled on, “Has Gray talked to Dad?” Straightforward, to the point. They couldn’t ignore it as easily as a simple hey.

In another minute Ethan said, “No, why?”

Thirty seconds later Evan asked, “You have your phone?”

Rolling her eyes, Eileen responded to Ethan. She informed him training had been a little rougher than expected and Gray had already tattled once so she was just checking. She received no reply to that, so she tucked her phone away and concentrated on the last few steps until she reached the designated meeting place.

Burgundy’s dark blue car was already in the parking lot. So was Burgundy, actually: she rested against the side of the building, watching Eileen’s approach. She was wearing a short, lilac party dress, her hair loose and wavy.