The Spirit Woman

Make sure to read the authors note at the end. It's really important:)

My muscles were growing tired, as was I. After about an hour of trudging up the mountain trail, I sat down on a large rock and leaned back. I watched the clouds scuttle across the baby blue sky and tried to think of what they looked like. I noticed one looked that like an angel. I closed my eyes and let my thoughts travel to them.

The Angels were like us, only they were holy. Flyers were just as much as sinners as humans, that's what dad always says. Angels had pale wings, while Flyers are born with dark wings.

My thoughts began to wander away from Angels. I almost fell asleep, but when I heard a loud rustling, I sat up and looked up towards the top of the trees. Suddenly, a huge eagle burst from the trees, leaves falling slowly in its wake.

I watched it soar upwards. Then it found a updraft and just drifted. I could see it had a white head and tail, and it's wings stretched straight out. Bald eagle, I thought. I shook my head. My wings itched to soar with it, but i reminded myself of the rules. No flying twelve hours before the ritual.

I stood and raised my hands above my head. Better get a move on, I thought. Thank the Lord their wasn't a specific time to arrive at the Spirit Woman's cave, you just had to show up on that day. I put my backpack on again and headed up the trail.

The endless walking was boring. I came up with a little system to entertain my mind. Eventually it turned into a game.

I would pick a rock up ahead and say, "I had to just get that far." After I got to the rock, I would look at something else and say, "I got this far, so I can get to there."

I started to notice changes on the mountain. Snow covered the top of most rocks, and the air grew thinner. Mother said just follow the path, and you'll find her. A small valley stretched to my left. A small tundra home for many animals. It's was covered in pure white snow. I watched as a small snow hare appeared from behind some gorse. I hopped out and began nibbling on the edge on another bush a little bit away.

I turned away and kept climbing. The trail began to level off. I must be getting close, I thought. I walked around a corner and noticed a dark spot on the side of the mountain up ahead. If I was flying over the mountain, I would have never seen it. I slowly walked closer. I stopped just outside the cave.

It was a narrow tunnel leading to darkness. I had a feeling this was where I needed to go. I stepped into the tunnel.

I walked through the tunnel, fear pricking my heart. It was dark, and nearly silent. I let out a sigh of relief as I saw a pinprick of light ahead. It grew and grew until I arrived at what seemed like a doorway. A rock was partially in front of it, obscuring it from oblivious view.

I stepped through, into a huge cavern. It stretched over 12 high and 30 feet wide. A large fire blazed on the far wall. There was furniture everywhere around the cave.

"Welcome Heather," a voice said. I jumped and flapped my wings. Crisp and pure laughter came from a small hallway on the other side of the cavern. A pretty woman, probably 35, walked out. She had a light blue shirt through and a tiger skin skirt. Her wings were light brown and huge. She had 2 necklaces, both a small metal charm on a leather strip. One was an owl in flight, the other was an owl on a perch. "Calm down, it's just me," she said.

She walked closer. I backed away. "Who are you?" I asked. She looked at me and smiled. "Isn't it obvious? I'm the Lady Cecilia, The Spirit Woman," she told me. I gasped and bowed. She laughed. "No need for that. We don't have much time," she said. She began to walk over to the fire place. She took different herbs and began throwing them into the fire. I watched.

I thought the Spirit Woman would be an old person with dark skin and wrinkles. Not this beautiful young 35 year old woman. She looked up. She whistled, and a large barn owl flew in. Her soul animal. It perched on the Spirit Woman's shoulder and began to help her throw things into the fire. The woman motioned for me to come to her, and I obeyed. I walked closer and she threw water a couple feet in front of the fire. She told me to stand in front of her and she began to chant.

The fire flicked, casting long shadows on the walls. The owl screeched and flapped its wings to the beat of the chant. The smoke from the fire began to rise and swirl around me. My head filled with voices, and I couldn't move I felt a pain in my back and I cried out. The smoke grew thicker and thicker and Lady Cecilia chanted faster. Then, the smoke thinned and returned to the fire. The Spirit Woman fell silent as did her owl.

I turned to see the Spirit Woman staring at me. She smiled and motioned for me to look in the water puddle. I walked over and looked down.

My eyes were blue. I gasped and felt my legs give out. The last thing I saw before I blacked out was my wings. They were pure white.

----~~~~~----

Hey everyone!:) sorry it's a little short, I've been busy. ATTENTION

So I'm having a little contest. In about 2 weeks, on July 16, I'm heading up to Michigan to see family. I won't have any wifi, and I'm staying there for a week. Please forgive me:( so, to make up for it, I'm sure you all know about my other book, Stages of the Moon. I am planning to make a trilogy with that book. If I get a total of 135 votes by the time i get back from Michigan, I will post the name of the next book that will sequel Stages of the Moon:) yea! I will count total votes, meaning votes from this book and SOTM. So tell everyone on Wattpad, tell your friends, post on your profile I don't care! Do whatever you want!:) The squeal to SOTM will not be out for a while, because I have to finish Stages of the Moon:) so...

Follow

Comment

And PM

And go vote:)

Stay Awesome:)