Chapter 3 - Taryn

They let me go without protest and although I can't see my family with my back facing them I can tell their eyes follow me through the archway that leads to the lobby.

Once in the lobby, I make sure no one is around before moving the mirror that hangs over the ugly orange vase on the end table off it's hook. Then I open the safe and remove the pair of blue running shoes Matthew set there for me. Behind my shoes are Ari's and I'm suddenly filled with the urge to cry for her. But I don't. I can't. If I cry for her, I'm admitting to myself she's gone. And if she's gone, I will break.

So I place my flats in the safe, close it and replace the mirror before putting on my runners.

I don't break.

Instead, I run.

I run farther than I've ran before. I run past the bakery and little bistro on the corner, I run through the market filled with vendors selling jewelry, clothing and fruit, and I run along the tracks for the electric trains until the paths turn from the blue-grey cobblestone to packed dirt.

When I stop to catch my breath I find myself in what looks like an abandon train station.

People of all ages are lined up facing a loading platform for a train I don't recognize.

"Where does this train lead?" I ask to no one in particular. By the looks of things the train's pretty old.

"The other kingdoms." A boy about my age with messy brown hair from the back of the line answers me.

"That's impossible," I respond, "we have no other kingdoms. You must be mistaken."

"I'm sorry, but I think you are the one who is mistaken. There are four other kingdoms in this area which was once North America. If you know who to talk to you can get a ticket."

For a moment I just stare at him. I survey his light brown hair and spring green eyes.

"Where are you going?"

"Wherever the nearest kingdom is."

I still don't completely believe him, but I let it slide since something else has been bothering me.

"Do you not recognize me?" I ask him, it's customary for all citizens to bow when approaching royalty. This boy just answered my question without hesitation.

"Oh I do, Princess Taryn." He smiles when he says princess.

"Then why have you not bowed to me?" I ask, still confused.

"Because," he says, "something tells me you're tired of being treated like a princess."

"What makes you say that?" I ask in defence.

"You wouldn't still be talking to me about the train station if you didn't want to leave."

I stare at him, open mouthed and disbelieving that he just suggested I wanted to leave. Then I think that maybe that isn't such a terrible option. If there really are other kingdoms out there they wouldn't know about us either and they certainly wouldn't recognize me.

The boy's smile returns when he says, "The ticket booth is right over there. Tell them who you are and why you want to leave and I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you a ticket."

He points to my right where a small shack stands against the wall with the faded word Tickets painted on a sign near the top of it.

Turning my head to look back at the boy, I ask him, "Who are you?"

Smiling, he says, "Call me Jack."

He returns to face the now moving line. I watch him until he gets on the train. I can't be sure because he's so far away, but when he takes his first step onto the train he turns and bows to me.

***

It's been a day and even though I convinced my mom to push my 'date' with Lucas back a whole week it's not enough to lift my spirits. Normally when I feel like this I would head to Ari's room but since the reason I'm feeling this way is that she isn't here, I make my way to Ben's room. Even on his darkest of days he finds away to bring light into the moment.

Timidly, I knock on his door and wait for his call to let myself in.

"Who is it?" He questions, somewhat impatiently.

"Taryn," I reply.

The door opens for me and my brother stands on the other side looking as though he just crawled out of bed, which he probably did. His light brown hair is an untamed mess on his head and his knowing eyes stare into mine, silently telling me he knows why I'm here.

I come in and close the door behind me.

"Wrin," he says, using my nickname he gave me when I was eight before pulling me into a hug which I return immediately.

"I miss her." I say.

I feel him nod on my shoulder.

We stand there hugging each other for a few minutes before he asks, "Is there another reason you came here?"

He pulls away slightly and I look at him for a few moments before confessing.

"I can't live like this anymore."

"Like what?"

"Like this. With the polite chit chat, forced dates and perfect everythings. And now with Ari gone, it seems like the whole family is waiting for the other shoe to drop. The silence in this place is deafening. Almost as though everyone is pretending the castle was secretly made of paper and anything above a whisper would make it all collapse."

"It won't always be like this," Ben argues.

"How do you know that?" I retort.

"Besides," I continue, "with Ari gone that also means I will be the one taking the throne. I'm not fit to rule a bakery let alone a kingdom."

"Than leave."

He announces it so certainly that I look up at him in confusion, incredulous to believe he'd even suggest such a thing.

There's no way I could survive outside the castle on my own even if I could somehow be courageous enough to leave.

Suddenly, as I stare into my brother's dark chocolate brown eyes, the same eyes my mother and I share, an idea stars to take form.

My eyes light up and Ben can see it too because he says to me, "Taryn, don't go doing something reckless,"

Smiling, I pull away from him completely and say, "Don't you worry little brother, I will be just fine."