Chapter 8: Departure

You took the last turn before reaching the hallway that held the door to your room. You halted, as you stared down at the golden door handle glinting in the dark. Thoughts lingered into your mind again, and now you doubted Noctis would talk again about all of this mess happening.

"I know you're outside. Come in."

Creepiness crept up your spine when you heard him say that, knowing he knew you were right outside the door. Shaking away the thought, you took the knob and opened the door. You peeked your head slightly into your room to see Noctis sitting comfortably in bed, the blankets covering half of his body. Heat rose up your cheeks when his blue eyes darted on you.

"What are you staring at? Come inside and quit peeking like a perverted kid."

Without reluctance you entered your room then closed the door behind you. You didn't know whether you should laugh or get mad at what he said to you but you approached him. "Um . . . what are you doing on my bed?"

"Laying down. Is it too much for a guy to lay down on his girlfriend's bed?"

You wanted to scold him for his words that made your cheeks fluster so much they were almost beet red. You pressed your lips into a thin line, clearly giving him a chiding look. But he didn't seem to mind which irritated you more.

"Hey, you're not gonna talk?" He sat up and yawned. "If you don't know, it's already night and I'm so tired. I want to sleep but only I can if you lay down with me."

You sighed, ignoring his sudden confusion. "How can you be okay with everything that's happening, Noctis?"

He paused but his eyes were still gazed on you. Then he took a deep breath, "Come here."

You removed your jacket and placed it on the nightstand before you scooted down on the bed beside him. His arm wrapped around your shoulders, making you tilt your head in confusion as he pulled you closer to him. His other hand reached for your head, gently resting it down on his shoulder. At that moment you felt warmth wrapping everything that held you within. His warmth and comfort—even without words—miraculously drove all the stress in you away.

"(Y/N)."

"Hm?" You kept your head rested on his shoulder as he held your arm.

"At least at this night, let's not think about all of this mess. One night and when the sun comes, we know this peace we thought would last is gone."

"I know, Noctis. I know."

"Let's go to sleep?"

You looked deeply into his eyes. Just like the ocean, they were filled with wonder and mystery. You knew a lot about him, but you still haven't seen how powerful and intimidating he could get. He's the king, but the fact that his own city's in danger didn't make him any weaker. He was strong, and that's what truly made him deserve being a king after the death of his father, the former King Regis Lucis Caelum.

The thought of the former king's coffin buried in the Tower of Catacombs—it somehow filled you with unknowing peace. But then your eyes closed, and you felt yourself laid down in Noctis' arms, the ambient sound of the night suddenly drifting you to a nightmare.

"Help me."

Venetian buildings were laid before your sight, the nighttime ambiance of the city suddenly becoming a place of mystery. Though it was one of those cities unharmed by daemons, you could still see the aura of fear in people who passed by.

The rivers were not as joyful as you thought. Not even the buildings and posts were dwelt of lights. Now you realized that the city had no light.