Chapter 4

Even though I was very happy to see Logan, there is one exception: I can’t act like I know him inside. According to him, the “unfamiliarity” between us will play a big role in his plan to help me escape.

       “But aren’t people inside the building staring at us?” I enquired back at the parking lot.

       “Don’t worry, as far as I can tell, the few guests are already drunk on wine and your fiancé, well, he’s enjoying the company of a tall blonde.” Logan answered my question, raising an eyebrow.

       In response, I took a small sneak on my back. I later found out the girl Joshua flirted with is one of my “bridesmaids”.

       Now clutching on my neon green wine glass, I try to enjoy the party which isn’t quite successful. I’m surrounded tightly by the bridesmaids, each named after a tropical flower I don’t really know. They never shut up and don’t seem exhausted from chattering non-stop. Seriously, the second I made my entrance, their mouths fling open and talked about any possible subject – the subjects are about me stupidly or them. It’s not just their conversation topics I find boring and dreadful, they never give me a chance to wander off on my own for a bit. I attempted on sitting among the mini botanical garden during a minute and unluckily, it ended when I heard the sounds of their stilettos clinging on the floor and caught the sight of their green-and-white striped ball gowns like tall, skinny mints.

       Still the blond-haired bridesmaid called Océane I think – her silk dress is entirely ocean green unlike the others’ – is at least distant. She occasionally vanishes and she returns slightly euphoric. And whenever we have eye contact throughout the evening, she blushes bright red with embarrassment. Maybe she assumes that I’ll be like one of those jealous elder wives who make life unbearable for the in-house mistresses when the man of the house is out. The tiger ladies also strictly harass those poor youthful souls in order for their sufferings not to become acknowledged.

       Yet everyone – especially the house staff and the women – are aware of the secret mistreatment. The “abandoned” spouses are only worried that the word will be passed on to their husband.

       I wish she isn’t terrified of me. Firstly, I don’t care if Joshua will disinterest from me after years of our union and will ogle on the new bright things. All I want is to be out of his vision – I don’t expect anything great from his part or his continuous attraction on me. Secondly, I’ll be out of here (hopefully) and leave the awful memories behind. Thirdly, she’s more attractive than me. Her aqua blue eyes are like gleaming gems and her champagne hair as fair as Joshua’s, falls down to her tailbone. She possesses an extraordinarily feminine frame with the long thin arms and legs, firm breasts and the pinched-in waist. Océane will please Joshua a lot, enough for her to replace as his bride on the case of my departure.

       Finally, as expected, Uncle Grafton steps up to the large stage in front of me. He’s accompanied by his second wife, Araceli, whose curly black hair is gathered into a loose up-do and is held by a jeweled headband. She places their baby son, Casey on the care of Muriel who’s immaculate as always.

       “My dear family and friends,” Uncle Grafton clears his voice on the microphone. His voice sounds cracked. You all know there’s another reason we are present at this special night. Tonight’s not precisely about the opening of this building, there’s also a happening we have to celebrate about. I am honored to announce you my niece, Bliss is engaged to Joshua Adamskim!”

       Automatically, the partygoers clap their hands busily and trumpets play out of nowhere. A spotlight flashes on me and I nervously return the smiles from the guests around me. Another light shines above Joshua who heard about the announcement from some distant corner. Océane comes in sight three minutes later. My so-called fiancé approaches me and we precipitate towards the stage with him forcibly clasping my hand.