Chapter Twenty Three - Helene's POV

The last three days in London had been bittersweet. I would miss the city very much, as well as the family that I had grown quite close to over the past month. I was ashamed to admit it, but the truth was that I had misjudged them. I had expected them to be snobby, but in reality they were some of the kindest people I had ever met. I regretted the fact that I would most likely never see them again. Although, I did not leave without promising to write to Anne. It would be nice to have a real friend with whom to correspond.

I looked around at my three travelling companions. Mrs. Gilmore had insisted that Caroline ride with her this time, and so I had ended up riding with Vincent, Jonathan, and Mr. Gilmore. As awkward as it was being the only woman in the company of men, I felt no fear. The journey had gone well for the most part. However, it had started to go downhill when Vincent had fallen asleep. I could not believe that it was possible for someone to snore louder than my father.

"Did you enjoy your time in London, Miss Hoffman?" Mr. Gilmore asked, speaking a bit louder to be heard over his son's snoring.

I nodded, "It was wonderful, but all good things must come to an end I am afraid."

"You are quite right," he agreed. "I am sure that your family will be wanting to hear about your trip."

I was actually not looking forward to that part, knowing that I would have to leave out all of the parts about Jonathan. It pained me to leave them out of this part of my life, but I supposed that it had to be kept a secret, for everyone's sake. As pleased as I was to know that he felt the same way about me, I doubted that we would ever be allowed to marry. He was an important nobleman, and I was a foreigner. I doubted that Mrs. Gilmore would approve of me diluting their pure English Bloodline with my German heritage.

"My father might not be too interested, but I am sure that my mother will be."

"Your mother always did seem a bit more enthusiastic," he remarked.

"I assure you that my father is enthusiastic about things as well. I have never seen anyone get as excited about a new book as he does."

"If you ask me, he sounds a bit like Jonathan," Vincent said, awakening with a yawn, as he opened his eyes and looked around.

"Perhaps you should run away and join a circus. They would surely find a good use for your sense of humour," Jonathan retorted. Vincent glared at him in reply.

I laughed. "Do they always do this?"

"Unfortunately so," Mr. Gilmore said with a sigh.

Just then, as we rounded the corner, I caught sight of my house, which excited me greatly. I was almost home! While I had immensely enjoyed the privileges of living in London's high society, I was happy to return to my quaint little house. Having a bunch of servants following me around, waiting on me hand and foot, had become overwhelming, and I was looking forward to being able to clean up after myself once again, as ridiculous as it might sound.

As we came to a stop in front of the house, I discreetly glanced at Jonathan, giving him a small smile before stepping out of the carriage, with the assistance of one of the coachmen. "Send our regards to your family," Mr. Gilmore called, as one of the coachmen handed me my suitcase and returned to his post.

"I certainly will," I replied.

With the nod of his head, the carriage turned around and pulled out. I waved to them as I watched them go, receiving a wave back from each of my previous companions. As soon as I could no longer see them, I walked up to the door and turned the handle. Pushing it open, I was delighted to find my mother standing in front of the stairs, waiting for me.