Nineteen

Chapter nineteen

Last resolutions

Amal

The party was fun for some people I guess. But I have never attended a more pressure filled event. It's not hard to understand what was going on on the surface.

There are so many girls hoping to be chosen that the atmosphere was a bit weird. There are girls like the queen's sister whom I heard was called Nafisah who simply had too much backing for even Saif to ignore them. There are some like Taufiqah who rely on their beauty and their fame with the masses to avoid total avoidance. And then I realized there's a third group of girls here too. These are girls like Yesmin who seem totally confident in their value and worth that nothing would ever ruffle them. But..

Where does Maree fit into this?

She's supposed to be the first wife who should quietly support her husband as he chooses a noble bride. But..

Why is it that ever since Saif arrived, she's been by his side like a super glue, looking down on all the other girls?

As usual, she looks breathtaking. She is absolutely stunning standing next to him. The way she held his hand, the familiar, yet affectionate way she did it..it made several girls uneasy. It's like she's making a statement. It doesn't matter if you are noble. You will need his approval to amount to anything at all. There's only so much society can give you. When it comes down to it, the married life can only be fought by you. Saif suddenly seemed very dangerous..

But a mine of gold is expected to be hard to excavate right! Some of the girls get a fierce look in their eyes, desiring to bring Maree down a peg or too just to prove to her in the end she's nothing. But..

I saw the exact time so many of these girls gave up hope. For Saif to treat Maree with this level of affection in public, doesn't it mean that he agrees with her analysis? That she's number one in his eyes despite what society demands of him?

But then I looked over at Yesmin. Studying her. Without a doubt, this girl is even more dangerous than Sultana! The blank way she stared at the couple made it look like she has no thoughts.

No though are seriously bigger than bad thoughts by so many levels. People who are capable of hiding their expression are the worst.

I used to be able to do that too.

I've grown soft and I began to love life... I grew amiable and I've lived by the wrong principles.

I have never thought it will take this to change my view of life completely. Once,mi didn't have any ambition other than my sisters. At every turn, I was proven too useless to truly help them.

Once, I bet on Saif and my marriage. Then even that was destroyed because I was too helpless..

And now...

I realized that aside from being by his side, I don't have any ambition. I always thought that if I was to be by his side, I could live peacefully with my kids without regret.

How much is life?

At most, life is just a few years of ups and downs. At most, just sixty to seventy years of struggle. Why dream so much? If you must leave it in the end, it is not worth it.

I used to think that.

I didn't think there was anything of value worth fighting for other than relationships. How wrong was I!

I was naive and shortsighted.

There's a reason why most people fight for life. I realize that only when you fight for life could you fight for death, for family, for friends, for you...