The Search is Over [One-shot]

Kirm’s POV

I’m Kirmith Gomez. I’m a tall, long-haired, fashionable girl who grew up in a foreign country with my mom and dad.

It seems like there’s nothing left for us here in Los Angeles. My mom and I are leaving this country. We are going to my grandma’s house, in the Philippines. I don’t even know that place but Mom said she’s a Filipino citizen. If I’m going to be asked, I don’t want to leave our house. There are so many memories of dad and me. We would dance around the house, play my favourite jigsaw puzzle, cook some delicious pasta, watch some Nicholas Cage movies, and when I can’t sleep, he would tell me stories about the monkey and the turtle. Every day, in my 15 years, he’s always with me. But now, I really don’t think so. At first I thought it was just a very bad dream but I came to realize that it was real. I am now trying to accept that he will just be a part of my happy memories, of my life. I just thank God for giving me my dad for a short while which brought me great happiness.

          Our flight is scheduled at 4 pm. It’s already 2:30 so I guess it’s time to pack up my things. I put all my things in my pink travelling bag. I also put the picture of my father.

“Honey, please hurry! We need to go to the airport at 3:00.” mom said.

“Okay Mom. Just give me ten minutes.”

“Fine Honey.”

          On the airport, I can’t help but cry. I guess the tears won’t stop falling from my cheeks. But I think it’s time to let go of the happy memories in L.A. and it’s time to move on, to start our new life in a strange country-the Philippines. Well, I looked at my pink Lacoste watch and saw that it’s already 4:00. Bye Los Angeles, California!

          After some hours of travelling, we reached the place. I guess it’s a nice country. We went to Manila, to my grandmother’s house. When we arrived, they gave us warm hugs and greetings. They gave us warm acceptance. I met my two cousins, Jill and Kaye and we are all of the same age- 15. They led me to my room. It was a cute room with cool pink guitars painted on its walls, with nice curtains decorated in it, and a warm bed in pink bed sheet. I really love it! I experienced jetlag and have fallen asleep.

          When I woke up, it’s time for dinner. My grandma cooked some delicious foods. While eating, mom told me that there’s a school near the house and she wants to enrol me. I agreed cause going to school and meeting new people will help me forget some of the bad memories of the place I came from. The next day, mom and I went to the school where I’ll study. She enrolled me. I walked around the school and watched. It was a wide place. The students are in white blouse and purple skirt uniform. It was pretty cute. After that, mom and I went to the mall to buy the things I will need. I’m quite excited.

Today’s the start of schooldays. I’m a little bit nervous of the new place I’ll be going to and the new people I’m going to meet. Hush! (Cross-fingers) I hope it will be okay. I asked mom to accompany me at school. When we reached the gate of the school, it feels like the butterflies are playing inside my stomach. She led me to my classroom. I am a third year student belonging to the first section. When I entered the room, the students looked at me and that made me feel more nervous.

          My teacher made me introduce myself in front of the class. I stood nervously and spoke in front but with a smile on my face.

          “Hi everyone! My name is Kirmith Gomez, fifteen years of age. I’m from Los Angeles and I’m new here so I’m hoping that you’ll be nice to me.”

          I sat on the last seat at the back beside a nerd-like boy with an eyeglass and dental braces on his teeth.

          He introduced himself like this, “I’m Jake Santos. I’m the rank 1 in this school and the President of the Math and English Clubs. I just live a few blocks away from here. I hope we’ll be friends.”  I smiled at him and we both shake hands.