Ch 16: Reassurance

I awoke feeling surrounded by a warmness I had never been acquainted with. Blinking open my eyes, I tried to shrug myself out of the warmth of the bed to get on with my day. When I moved to get up, it was immensely difficult. It felt as it I was being held there. 

Feeling something snaking around my back further, I tried to get out with more effort but stilled when I heard a familiar, but ever sleepy voice, "Stop moving." 

Lance's arms hugged me tighter and he nuzzled his face against my hair. It was like I had been awaken from a dream right into another. Against Lance's wishes, I used my hands to push myself off his chest, leaving just enough space between us so that I could look at his face. 

His eyes were still closed, and he moved his arms so that they laid in front of him, detaching themselves from my waist. My brain and heart felt fuzzy and, without hesitation, I reached my hand out to caress his cheek, the tips of my fingers being tickled by his short hair. At the sensation, Lance sighed and moved his face slightly against the pillow. 

I stared at his sleeping face, admiring him. Soft breaths came out of his slightly open mouth as his chest moved in slow, steady motions. He looked beautiful and entirely at ease. I softly gasped when I felt him nuzzle against my hand.

Despite the situation Keith was in, he couldn't shake the nerves that nagged his mind. What if as soon as Lance woke up, he wanted me gone? I lifted my hand of his face, bringing it in front of my body, laying it in front of Lance's. Speaking softly, I mumbled, "Lance, what time is it?"

Groaning, Lance opened his eyes and squinted. His voice slurred together due to exhaustion, "I don't know. It's early so go back to sleep." His eyes shut after and Lance rolled over, facing away from me.

I chuckled a bit at that; Lance had never been a morning person. After hesitating many moments, I figured that I should probably leave before I do end up making it weird, as if it wasn't strange already. The bed softly creaked as I stood up and made my way to the door.  

Leaving the room, I made my way to the kitchen. Everyone was sitting and as their heads turned to me, their eyes all widened in surprise. 

"Keith, how are you feeling?" Shiro was the first to speak. 

"Oh, um, I'm fine," I mumbled, rubbing the back of my neck. Everyone staring at me made me feel incredibly self conscious. 

Shiro nodded a bit and Allura suddenly asked, "Has Lance seen you?"

At that moment, I realized that everyone must know about my Hanahaki and I felt ill with humiliation. Does that mean that Lance knew? Feeling my chest squeeze in on itself, I felt like I couldn't breath. What if he is acting the way he is out of pity? I clenched my jaw hard. 

Hunk spoke a bit, seeing Keith's sudden shift, "You know, Lance refused to leave your side the entire time you were in the cryptopod."

Perking up against my will, my voice came out a tad shrill, "He did?"

Smiling softly, Hunk continued, while everyone nodded a bit in agreement, "He totally drove himself into a tizzy out of worry for you. He'd even talk to you," Hunk laughed quietly, trying to brighten the mood.

The thorns still tangled in my chest began to loosen, "What did he say?"

Hunk smiled at me, "I don't know. He'd kick me out anytime I came in-"

"Ugh, stop it," Lance walked in disheveled, not bothering to get ready before leaving his room. The truth was, about 5 minutes after Keith left, Lance awoke with a shock. He realized that Keith would talk to everyone and they'd probably talk to him about how Lance had been obsessing over him while he was comatose. When he walked in, he realized his hunch was right and the idea of Keith hearing about his behavior embarrassed him beyond belief.