Sweet Dreams Weren't Made For Us

Victoria was sitting in her mother’s room since she had been called in there. She was wearing her favorite dress and her chestnut hair was pulled back into a braided bun. Her mother had told her to dress nicely so she even took the liberty of doing her makeup, which perfectly complemented her floral dress and honey brown eyes. Her mother walked in dragging a stool behind her.  Her usually beautiful face was made ugly with tears streaming down her face causing her mascara to run. Her lipstick was smudged and Victoria could already tell her mother had been smoking and drinking alcohol, because she had tried to cover it with a strong smelling perfume.

“Do you know why I asked you to come in here?” Her mother had asked. Victoria shook her head ‘no’. Her mother smiled and sat down on the stool she had brought with her.

“It’s because I wanted you to see what I’m about to do. Can you do that?” Victoria’s mother asked her. Victoria nodded slowly, not knowing what was to come next. Her mother stood up.

“Good… Now, I want you to know, my dear Victoria, that I am doing this because of you. Maybe even for you. So you don’t have to live with a disappointment as a mother.” She said. Victoria looked at her mother confused.

“Mother, what are you talking about?” Victoria asked. Her mother smiled once more before pulling out a gun and pointing it at her temple.

“Mom no!” Victoria screamed, her eyes shot open. She was back in her bed with tears streaming down her olive face. Yet again she had a dream of her mother, who just weeks before commited suicide in front of her. She looked around her dark bedroom to make sure her twin brother Victor was still asleep. She wiped her tears from her eyes and took in a deep breath. Victoria heard a soft rustle of sheets and looked up to see Victor waking up.

“Tori?” Victor asked from across the room, rubbing his eyes. Victoria looked over at him and plastered a smile on her face.

“I’m fine. Go back to sleep, Vic,” Victoria said, her voice trembling. Victor turned on his lamp so he could better see his crying sister and stood up. He walked over to Victoria’s side of the room.

“Did you have a dream about mom again?” Victor asked softly while taking a seat next to Victoria. Victoria nodded slowly. Victor rubbed her back slowly.

“No matter what people, or mom, say it wasn’t your fault that she decided to commit suicide, Tori,” Victor said.

“But I could’ve stopped her!” Victoria sobbed.

“Yes,” Victor agreed. “You could’ve stopped her… But she also could have stopped herself. Don’t beat yourself up about mom’s just because she said she was doing it because of you.” Victoria looked up at her brother, tears still streaming down her face, and hugged him. Victor hugged her back softly and kissed the top of her head.

“Why don’t you try to go back to sleep?” Victor asked, still hugging Victoria. Victoria shook her head ‘no’.

“I don’t want to take the chance of that dream starting up again,” Victoria mumbled against Victor’s chest. Victor sighed softly.

“What if I stay right here until you fall asleep?” He asked. Victoria looked up at Victor and nodded.

“If you wouldn’t mind,” Victoria said softly. Victor chuckled softly.

“You’re my sister. Of course I wouldn’t mind,” Victor told Victoria and lay down with her close to his chest. Victoria lay her head on Victor’s chest and sighed softly. She tried to close her eyes, but flashes of her mother kept coming back to her. A soft whimper left Victoria’s lips as she sat back up. Victor sighed and pulled Victoria back down next to him. He softly started playing with her hair to calm her down.

“Just try to think of something more pleasant… Like our cat Madame Rouge. Anything to get your mind off of mom,” Victor spoke in a soft, calming manner. Victoria nodded and lay her head back on his chest. Thoughts of her beautiful, fluffy siamese cat, Madame Rouge, started flooding into her mind.

Victoria closed her eyes once more and for the first time in a long time, she wasn’t seeing flashes of her mother’s death. She smiled softly and slowly drifted off to sleep, muttering a ‘thank you’ to Victor. Victor smiled as well and wrapped his arms around his sister. He kissed her forehead and settled his chin on top of Victoria’s head.

“You’re welcome, Tori. I love you. Goodnight and hopefully you will have sweet dreams,” Victor mumbled and clapped his hands so the lights would turn off. He yawned and closed his eyes, following his sister into a peaceful slumber.