Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Are we sure we don't want to go to Diviel now?" said Eli. When it was clear that everyone was awake, they had all gathered around the fire in reluctant discussion on what to do next.

"I mean," Eli continued, "it's not that I mind this lovely tropical vacation, but perhaps we could get a head start." His hair was mussed from sleep, his cheeks flushed in the heat as flames danced across his features. Aveline's mouth quirked slightly despite herself.

"The idiot brings up an important point," Ari put in, somewhat thoughtfully. He had the list of royal names in his hand and was scrutinizing them as he spoke. Eli beamed, not seeming to comprehend the insult. "We need to catch these sons of bitches."

That was Ari's wounded pride talking, Aveline immediately decided.

"You're both being stupid," said she, glancing to Jamie for support. Jamie nodded emphatically. "You read the note. They know they're being followed, which Ari confirmed today when he went running after them like a psycho. We need to lie low for a little while."

"Fine." Ari rubbed his forehead. "For now, all we can do is gather information. Ask around town, read what they have in here... I want to know everything we can find out about these kidnappers by the the time we leave. Is that clear?"

Lyla inclined her head. "Crystal."

"Good." Ari blew out a breath, returning his gaze to the list in his hands. He started, suddenly, and Aveline watched his eyebrows furrow in the way they always did when he found something. "Avie, what was the name of that serving girl we talked to at the Tarrah? The nervous one."

"Ayka." Aveline remembered her well; there was something about her jittery attitude that provoked both pity and suspicion.

"Yeah." Ari's features scrunched in his concentration. "Uh, her name is on this list."

"What?" Aveline crawled towards her friend, peering downwards at the paper. Sure enough, Ayka's name had been scrawled in the right hand column. "I can't believe it."

Ari hummed in agreement. "This is either a strange coincidence, or she's involved. I mean, it's not like Ayka is so common a name."

Eli removed his chin from the study of his hands. "You met this girl at the Tarrah?"

Aveline nodded. "She acted strange when we questioned her. Almost... frightened."

"We could go back and talk to her again," Lyla suggested. Aveline pursed her lips.

"We're following Tristran's clue right now," she resolved. "Besides, if Ayka is part of it, she'd be long gone by now." Would they find Ayka in Diviel, perhaps? Aveline had no idea.

She focused her gaze on Jamie, who had said nothing as she uncomfortably studied her hands.

"Jamie, do you have anything to add?" Aveline tried to sound encouraging and gentle. While Ari's persuasion tactics could be effective elsewhere, if there was any way they were going to get information out of Jamie, somehow she didn't think it would be by scolding her. Aveline reminded herself to have a conversation with Ari about the subject later.

Jamie shrugged timidly. "Did you get any information from that Ayka girl?"

"She told us where to find the Kibetian royal family so we could talk to Princess Leilani."

"She wasn't very forthcoming," Lyla added. "She was very reluctant to share her knowledge."
"Anything else?"

Aveline couldn't remember. It was times like these that she wished she was a better focus. Then she glanced ruefully at Ari and remembered that this was what he was for.