Chapter 20

I already know he’s up there in the tree house. I saw him running through the woods like a maniac just a second ago from my spot in a nearby tree. Honestly, I didn’t even want to see him again. I couldn’t bare to see his reaction to my physical state. Ever since Robert invaded me last week, I have been sorta living out on the streets. It’s only been like six days, I think, but ghosting on Jacob like that is wrong of me. I think he deserves an explanation.

About an hour later, I swung my legs over the the tree branch and dropped to the ground. I looked up at the treehouse to where I knew he’d surely be sitting in, either sleeping or doing something productive. I sighed and gnawed on my bottom lip a little before ascending up the ladder.

“Hi, Jacob.” I smiled halfheartedly once I reached the top. He was already looking my way by the time my head had popped up from the entrance. I backed up and leaned against the wall opposite of Jacob who was currently staring at me as if I had just grown a third arm. I bit my lip nervously as I felt my nerves work up again. He was going to hate me, I’m sure of it.

And then the ringing came back.

Only because you’re a terrible person and you deserved everything that has happened to you and you know it.

Shut up, I’m not in the mood to talk to you. In the week spent with my life on pause, it had came back.

That’s not very nice of you, Ryan. You should appreciate me more often.

Why should I appreciate you? All you’ve done is fuck me up even more than I already am.

Pay attention you ignorant little shit, I think Jacob is trying to say something.

The ringing in my ears fades out and I focus on the boy in front of me who was currently sat closer to me with a questioning glare. I realize I had been too caught up in my head to hear him, feeling like a fool. “I-I’m sorry, Jacob. What did you say?”

“I said ‘What the hell happened to you?’” He sat back and folded his arms across his chest. I looked at the floorboards under me and sucked on my lip again. I didn’t know how to answer that. Should I be honest with him and tell him the truth or save him the concern and lie?

“Uh- um…” The truth was, I get abused at home and inside my own head, people at school really don’t like me for some reason and the stupid voice in my head has changed the way I think and feel about everything. But I couldn’t just casually tell him that I got raped and tried committing suicide multiple times this week with no success. That would freak him out and he’d most likely either run away or call the police. “I was in the hospital. I had a really bad flu and the doctors said I couldn’t have any visitors.”

I looked up into his eyes to see his reaction to my lie and felt my heart stutter. I hate lying to jacob, it isn’t fair to him in the slightest and he deserves to know the truth. I just didn’t want to burden him with it. The longer I stared into blue eyes, the harder it was for me to keep up the lie. I quickly darted my eyes away and continued to have a staring contest with the floor.

I didn’t notice he had moved across the treehouse to sit next to me until I felt an arm wrap around my waist. “Hey, it’s okay. You don’t have to tell me. I was just really worried. “ Jacob reached a hand to my cheek and wiped away a tear I hadn’t realized had fallen. I felt my skin heat up under his touch and shied away from his hand.

A cold gust of wind blew through the treehouse causing us both to shiver as the air touched our skin. We didn't have coats on in case you were wondering. We're just both stupid like that I guess.

Jacob pulled out a small blanket from his backpack and draped or over our shoulders. I look up to him under my lashes and give him a small smile. Only Jacob can bring out the best in me even when I feel like giving up.

“Are you okay?” He asked in a hushed voice. I think for a moment before nodding truthfully. I think I'll be fine for now. With that thought in mind I rest my head on his shoulder and snuggle into the blanket a little further. Jacob wraps his arm around my waist again and rests his head on mine, tugging me a little closer to him.

“Jacob?” I break the silence with a wandering thought after a few minutes.

He lifts his head off of mine and looks into my eyes. “yeah?”

And then I can't help myself. All of the memories and feelings come flooding in. I don't think about how cold it is or the fact that what I'm about to do might ruin our friendship. I reach up and tug him lightly by the back of his neck toward me and connect our lips together.

It wasn't like the movies where an explosion of color bursted everywhere. It was sweet and warm, causing my fingertips to tingle slightly. I felt Jacob smile against my lips as he brought his arm around and cupped my jaw softly.

He pulled away slightly and rested his forehead against mine, taking my hands in his and kissing my knuckles in the process. “promise me something?” He pauses for a second after I nod. “If I stay alive then you will too?”

My eyes widen a little. How could he possibly know? I lift my head and connect my eyes with his in determination. Even though I haven't told him what happened yet, I will when I'm ready. I know he would understand and listen to me. I realized I want him in my life for as long as I'm alive.

And with that in mind, I give him a genuine smile and squeeze his hands. “I promise.”