Chapter 22- The Aftermath

"Evie? Evie wake up! It's almost time for breakfast!" Kennedy said, shaking her slumbering friend.

"Ten more minutes Kennedy," Evie mumbled.

"Girl, you didn't even go to bed that late last night. Now come on, Princess Tina's running a quick errand for Prince Devon and then-"

Evie didn't even register the rest of Kennedy's sentence because hearing that one name made her remember everything that had happened last night. 

Sneaking out, finding Devon, kissing him.

"Oh my lord," Evie muttered. 

"What's wrong?" Kennedy asked worriedly. 

"Nothing! I, uhhh, just remembered that El is due to go to the dentist! And, uhhh, I should really call them to make an appiontment!"

"Are you sure? Your face is getting really red."

"Yup! Perfectly fine. I should get ready. Yeah, I'm going to go to the bathroom now, bye!" Evie said, suddenly finding the energy to get up and run to Tina's massive bathroom. 

She shut the door tightly behind her and collapsed against it. A giant mirror showed Evie's reflection and Evie couldn't help but laugh at the fact that her sweatpants-wearing self had somehow found her way into this pristine, royal bathroom. 

'How in the world did I end up here?' She thought to herself as she started to tame her long locks. 

After a few minutes of prepping and preening, accompanied by the occasional sigh when she though of Devon, Evie was ready to rejoin her friends outside. 

"Ready to go down?" Tina asked Evie, stepping out of her massive closet. 

"Yeah," Evie said with a small smile. "Ready whenever you are."

The trio of friends walked out of Tina's wing and right into the castle's halls. Guards lined the walls and a few of them trailed behind the group. 

"So did you enjoy your stay over Kennedy?" Tina asked politely. 

Evie's eyes roamed around the halls. 

"I loved it! Your room is gorgeous Princess Tina."

The faces of many previous rulers lined the walls, forever implanted on a canvas for all to see. 

"I do hope you can come again sometime."

King Matthew, Queen Natalie, Queen Morgan, King Nathan, King Brian, King Jakob.

"I would love that!" 

Crown Prince Devon and Princess Valentina.

"Oh good! And hopefully I can come visit Carla's more often. With my wig of course."

'He looks cute in that portrait' Evie thought to herself. 

"Evie? Are you ok?"

"What?" Evie asked, her focus suddenly being torn away from the portrait and back into the conversation. 

"You're staring off into space again. Is everything ok? Did you get enough sleep?" Tina asked. 

"I'm fine! Yeah sorry I just noticed that picture of you and Devon," Evie replied smiling at her friend. 

Tina smiled. 

"I've always rather liked that portrait," Tina said looking up at it. "Devon could not wait to get his portrait finally painted. He was so excited to meet the artist. I don't think he realized quite how much time it would take but, everyone was very happy with the end result." 

"It's beautiful," Kennedy chimed in. "You two look so happy."

"We do, don't we?" Tina said with a smile. "Now come on, the servers will be angry if we don't get there soon."

Tina lead the girls into the gorgeous dining room once more and directed them towards their seats. The King and Queen were already deep in conversation at the head of the table and Devon was in one of the seats a little farther down the table. 

"Kennedy, would you like to sit next to me? And Evie you can sit across from us, right next to Devon." Tina said pointing at various chairs. 

"Sounds good!" Kennedy said as she followed Tina to the other side of the table. 

Evie smiled at her friends but inside her stomach was in knots at the thought of sitting next to Devon after last nights events. She carefully made her way over to Devon's side and rolled her shoulders back before sitting down in the seat. 

"Morning Evie," Devon greeted as Evie took her seat next to him. 

"Good morning Prince Devon," Evie said, gently soothing a napkin onto her lap. 

"How many times have you been to the palace?" He asked her. 

"More than I can count," She replied with a blush. 

"And how many times have I insisted that you refer to me as Devon?"

Evie sighed and smiled at her lap. 

"More than I can count," She replied. 

"And how long will it take for it to stick?" He asked leaning in ever so slightly. 

Evie's breath hitched as she finally turned her head to glance at the Prince. 

His suit was impeckably pressed and he smelled like spearmint and chemicals. His hazel eyes flitted around her face like a synchonized pair of butterflies and his crystal white teeth were barely visable because of his playful smirk. 

"Probably a lot longer," Evie mumbled. 

"Hmmm. I guess Tina will just have to have you over even more often."

"I guess you said that I already come over more often than any of her other friends."

"You're also her only friend that I've kissed."

Evie froze and immediantly pressed her lips together. 

"That's good to know I guess," Evie said, looking aound the table to see if anyone had overheard Devon's confession. 

"Hmm," Devon hummed, turning back to the table where a server was setting dpwn a plate of eggs and potatoes. 

"That's all you're going to say?" Evie whispered harshly. "You aren't going to do anything else to acknowledge the fact that we, we kissed?" 

"I believe I just stated that a moment ago Evie." 

"Well, I mean, well, umm," Evie sputtered. 

"We kissed. So, now I believe we go on with our lives and see what life has planned for us," He said popping a piece of toast into his mouth. 

"But, you're the prince!" Evie said. "And I'm just, just me! And what does all of this mean?" Evie asked exasperatedly. 

"I think that's up to you Evelyn. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a plane to Germany that I must get to." 

And with that, Devon stood up, straightened his suit and walked out of the room with his guards trailing behind him.

A/N- Hi guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a nice comment and maybe tag a friend!

I loved this chapter because it foreshadows a little something about Devon...What do you think it is???

Anyway, love you all and I'll see you on Monday!